Lead, Systems Engrg
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Chief Systems Engineer
Job ID: AS20202212-54536
Job Location: Melbourne, Australia
L3Harris is seeking a Chief Systems Engineer to take on a large Telecommunications Network Upgrade Program. In this role, the Chief Systems Engineer will be responsible for the management of technologies and partners spanning all aspects of the program, inclusive of Telecommunications Networks, wide area and local area networks communications and surveillance equipment.
This is an opportunity to take on unique challenges, expand your skillset and experience, and contribute to an industry leading initiative. You will join a great team of talented professionals who take a collaborative approach and enjoy working together. We are a company on the move with more than five decades of innovative and exceptional performance which has helped us earn our place as a trusted provider and advisor to our customers.
The Chief Systems Engineer position reports to the Chief Systems Architect and requires significant experience in systems design, program execution, managing multifunctional teams, and engineering operational support for deployed solutions. The role will need to provide overall technical direction for the entire program as part of a nationwide program. The ideal candidate is also skilled in evaluating the Customer’s needs and objectives, developing high level concepts, capturing key requirements to share with all stakeholders, and able to lead teams through proposal cost and risk evaluations. Some other qualifications/responsibilities include:
- Navigating and driving ambiguous customer desires and concepts into a defined system architecture with a clear requirement set;
- Ensuring the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints;
Performing functional analysis, timeline analysis, detailed trade studies, requirements allocation and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into hardware and software specifications;
- Communicating and leading the implementation of requirements across a cross-functional team of software, network, provisioning, and deployment engineers and technicians, and developing baseline system architectures while meeting cost and technical requirements;
- Providing overall technical direction to the operational support team to help strengthen processes and procedures required for reducing issues in the field and providing effective troubleshooting for deployed solutions;
- Providing technical management of multiple engineering subcontractors through regular interactions, development of technical documentation, and coordinating design review activities;
- Leading and Managing a successful outcome from formal technical reviews (SRR, PDR, CDR, TRR);
- Developing and articulating high level CONOPS and Use Cases from customer information;
- Assisting with the development of top-level specifications and managing requirement flow down to lower level specifications;
- Managing risk and opportunity with internal and external customers. Working with the technical team to identify, mitigate and close program risks;
- Travel will be required within Australia to facilitate customer and partner coordination as well as support remote site audits.
- The candidate must be able to undergo and obtain Australian Defense security clearance to NV1.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Information Systems;
- 12+ years of engineering experience;
- 8+ years of experience with complete System Engineering Lifecycle including proposal development, preparation of technical papers, requirements analysis and large-scale managed service systems development/operations;
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Experience interpreting, negotiating, documenting, communicating and implementing requirements across a technically diverse team;
- Previous experience as an engineering lead supporting the safety critical program in the aviation industry or equivalent is essential;
- System Integration Experience, from large electronics systems programs will be well regarded;
- Experience in the architecture/design, development, implementation, and monitoring of System of Systems architectures;
- Experience with the development of network monitoring and performance metrics for a mission critical Operational Communications and/or Air Navigation Services contract.