Scientist Cryocooler Development Engineer
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
We are currently seeking a Cryocooler Development Engineer for our Mason, OH location.
We are seeking a motivated individual to join our team as a Lead Cryocooler Development Engineer. This position supports a variety of mission-critical programs with specific focus on cryocoolers for sustaining engineering and manufacturing production along with new design and development.
- Support existing cryocooler production and new design development initiatives by interacting cross-functionally with various engineering disciplines, operations, supply chain, program management, customer representatives and vendors. Review in-process statistical performance data for the purpose of design oversight, identifying process trends and comprehensive continuous improvement. Develop corrective action reports for cooler related failures and architect appropriate test plans spanning entire product lifecycle as needed. Review and approve cryocooler designs and configuration changes.
- Prepare and review technical papers for conferences and industry proceedings. Maintain database resources for competitor product offerings. Support and develop performance modeling that includes critical transient and steady-state operating parameters and reliability life predictions. Analyze performance data on both prototype and production hardware to refine performance modeling capabilities and develop plans to characterize cooler reliability predictions under various environmental and loading conditions.
- Ability to interface with mechanical design engineers, manufacturing process engineers and operations personnel to streamline, problem solve and continuously improve production build methodology is essential.
- Interaction with manufacturing to ensure successful design hand-off and production transition including support for test fixture design, work instructions and new build techniques is critical.
- Responsible for creating detail component and assembly model concepts, manufacturing drawings and presenting design material for internal / external customer engineering design reviews as needed.
- Other responsibilities include support for requirements development, coordination and tracking changes to Bill of Materials (BOM) and proper execution of design tasks in accordance with internal engineering processes and procedures. Support proposal efforts, basis of estimate creation and report / track task status in control account manager (CAM) role as needed.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME or BSMET) is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 12 years of prior relevant experience. Graduate Degree and a minimum of 10 years of prior related experience.
- Aerospace / Defense or equivalent industry is preferred.
- Mechanical CAD proficiency using 3D modeling is required (SolidWorks preferred).
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) experience for design is required (SolidWorks preferred).
- Strong technical problem solving skills and excellent project management / multi-tasking ability is required.
- Knowledge of industry environmental test methods is required (MIL-STD-810G).
- Experience with both cryogenic compressor design and production is required.
- Must be a self-starter, versatile and adept at functioning in either lead or support role in small groups working on fast-paced projects encompassing initial conceptual product design all the way through transition to manufacturing production build. This may include detail design, light assembly, test verification, build support, thorough results documentation and task completion on schedule & within budget constraints.
- Experience with Ultra High Vacuum (UHV) processing and electro-optical assembly design (not mandatory).
- Prior supervisory experience is desirable (not mandatory).
Department of Defense (DOD) security clearance is a plus.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.