Lead RF Engineer
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Lead RF Engineer
Job Code: IMS20210504-59173
Job Location: Mason, OH
We are currently looking for a RF/Microwave Design Engineer with a broad range of experience to join our engineering team in a highly collaborative and hands-on role that supports the analysis, design, implementation, optimization, production support, and enhancement of RF/microwave equipment for launch vehicle and satellite communication systems. In particular, the successful candidate needs an understanding of detail design issues involved with high-frequency communication equipment design for S-, X-, and Ka- bands. The individual will use simulation tools such as Microwave Office, as well as RF/Microwave test equipment. The individual will apply knowledge of component-level design for development of RF/microwave amplifiers, filters, upconverters, oscillators and switches and verify engineering designs through measurement of S-parameters, noise figure, intercept point, compression point, switching speed, spurious and phase noise on electrical circuits, components and integrated RF/microwave assemblies.
- Design prototypes and provide sustaining engineering support for custom RF/microwave assemblies and sub-systems to customer specifications.
- Design, test, and troubleshoot RF/microwave sub-systems, integrated microwave assemblies, and components through use of circuit analysis tools such as MWO.
- Evaluate, develop, and document new circuit and/or design techniques.
- Perform technical analysis/feasibility for new product specifications, evaluate customer specifications, and support cost/technical proposal generation.
- Collaborate with a cross-functional engineering team to produce integrated system design solutions.
- Guide technicians on test, tune, debug, and optimization of prototype circuits and components to meet specification requirements and manufacturing requirements.
- Schedule development projects, including process development, fixture design and implementation, material procurement, and customer design reviews.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or a related engineering degree
- 5 years of related experience in designing, testing and troubleshooting RF/Microwave sub-systems integrated microwave assemblies and components: working knowledge of electronics including power and RF theory; RF/Microwave parameters & test procedures. An equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered.
- Position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret Clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Design Experience: Experience with microwave design for high-bandwidth upconverters, mixers, drivers, and power amplifiers at 2 GHz to 30 GHz. Experience with frequency planning, design for phase-based modulation formats, and design for wide-bandwidth/high data rate applications.
- Computer skills: exposure to a networked environment using a Windows and/or Windows like interface using Microsoft Office suite; ability to use enterprise-wide information systems such as SAP; and ability to use CAD design tools.
- Ability to travel up to 10%
Competencies / Desired Characteristics
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related engineering degree.
- Aerospace experience, especially working with flight critical systems.
- Experience on rocket avionics or satellite systems is a big plus.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Leadership: ability to provide technical leadership to multidisciplinary design and production teams.
- Time Management & Organizational skills: ability to plan effectively using various scheduling tools, flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities and assignments, ability to maintain confidentiality.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.