Lead Project Engineer
Mason, OhioJob ID IMS20202511-53644
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Lead Project Engineer
Job Code: IMS20202511-53644
Job Location: Mason, OH
Responsible for the day-to-day tactical duties for assigned programs. Oversees and coordinates the cost/schedule/technical aspects of ongoing engineering projects within the program guidelines set by the Program Manager and customer. Serves as single point-of-contact between engineering project management and planning, engineering project team, and line management. Reviews status of engineering projects and budgets; manages schedules and prepares status reports. Assesses engineering project issues and develops resolutions to meet productivity, quality, and customer-satisfaction goals and objectives. Develops mechanisms for monitoring engineering project progress and for intervention and problem solving with engineering project managers, line managers, and customers. Provides the coordination between resource managers/supervisors and ensures all necessary reviews and approvals are received. May conduct performance/project analyses during phase-down to benefit future/other engineering projects, missions, and programs.
- Serves as lead on technical proposals and program execution
- Proactively manages risk, including identification and mitigation plans, and issue elevation and resolution
- Effectively communicates status to stakeholders, including organizational leadership, multifunctional teams, and the customer
- Solves problems with a calm sense of urgency
- Demonstrates operational discipline and ownership
- Maintains scope control through disciplined change management
- Brings passion for innovation, a sophisticated understanding of circuit level electronic equipment and systems, and the ability to further advance L3Harris Space & Sensors Technology Center
- Coordinates all technical aspects of the project to meet scope, schedule and design to cost goals
- Performs technical analysis/feasibility for new product specifications, evaluate customer specifications and support cost/technical proposal generation
- Uses project management practices for resource planning, personnel oversight, and cost/schedule tracking
- Ensures that all engineering-related internal processes are followed by the project design team
- Leads Requirements Definition, Requirement Management, Technical Solution, Product Integration, Verification and Validation
- Interfaces effectively with people at all levels and from diverse technical backgrounds
- Serves as the technical point of contact for customers
- Provides leadership to teams and guidance to less experienced staff members
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum 9 years of prior relevant experience. Graduate Degree and a minimum of 7 years of prior related experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOD Top Security/SCI Clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- In-depth knowledge of project management throughout entire project life cycle.
- Prior project leadership experience – either as a Project Manager or Project engineer
- Previously been a lead on technical proposals
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Military customer experience is desired
- PMP certification is desired
- Previous experience as a control account manager (CAM) in an earned value management system (EVMS) environment is desired
- Previous experience with sensors is desired
- Previous experience with space products is desired
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.