Fraud Awareness Message
Fraudsters have been known to attempt to use our name to trick job seekers with fake employment opportunities. This type of scam is normally carried out through fake websites, job postings, chat applications, or email accounts claiming to be from L3Harris. To help spot these scams, remember that during our formal recruitment process, L3Harris will NOT (1) ask you for money; (2) offer to send you a check before doing any work; (3) require you to provide sensitive personal information early in the process or sensitive information about your previous employer; (4) send you emails from free commercial services (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail).
If you have been contacted by anyone representing themselves as being from L3Harris and are concerned about their legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at staffing@L3Harris.com .
If you believe you have been scammed, contact local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission here. L3Harris has no responsibility for fraudulent job offers and advises candidates to follow the guidance provided above.
Sr. Associate, Optical Engineering
Hilton Head Island, South CarolinaJob ID IMS20223008-89757
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
- Medical with a High Deductible and traditional PPO plan options, as well as, vision and a full array of supplemental health benefits
- A doctors' service to help with referrals and second opinions for you, your family, and parents
- 4 weeks of paid parental leave for moms and dads
- Fertility treatment
- Subsidized backup childcare and eldercare
- Adoption assistance - $5,000 per adoption/$15,000 per employee
- Pet insurance
- No cap to your PTO time (for exempt employees)
- Dress for your day - wear what works for you at work
- Legal plan for you, your family, and parents
- Discount platform
- 9/80 work schedule available for most U.S. employees, effective October 24, 2022.
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Sr. Associate, Optical Engineering
Job Code: IMS20223008-89757
Job Location: Hilton Head, SC
L3Harris Imaging & Laser Systems (ILS) Division, is located in Orlando, FL and Hilton Head, SC. The Orlando and Hilton Head sites are established in military/defense, as well as commercial, laser solutions and products. This position is located at the Hilton Head, SC location which is an ISO 9001:2015 certified full-service manufacturer of miniature eye-safe diode-pumped 1.54m Erbium glass laser transmitters and specialty laser and filter glass material. These items are used in applications including laser range-finding, range gate imaging, Light Detection and Ranging (LIDAR), and Laser-Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS).
We offer competitive benefits, an alternative 9/80 work schedule, and the opportunity to work with a talented and diverse group of professionals. We are proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.
The Sr. Associate, Optical Engineering is part of a multi-disciplinary design team developing lasers and laser technologies using Er:Glass diode-pumped solid state laser designs. The individual is responsible for learning and designing diode-pumped laser design and design improvements. This position requires the individual to have a well-rounded background in laser design, assembly and manufacturing practices, along with the ability to work with other engineers and technicians. He/she must be capable of writing procedures and test plans.
- Interface and work closely with the customer(s) on technical requirements and anticipate and fulfill customer needs to ensure 100% customer satisfaction and continued business expansion.
- Responsible for requirements definition, verification and distribution, technical baseline development, resource identification and allocation, design trade studies, preliminary design, detailed design, system testing, qualification testing as pertains to the laser transmitters.
- Learn and lead the laser transmitter designs and continuous improvements.
- Effectively communicate with management and peers about projects and IRAD developments.
- Works with Cross-Functional engineers to ensure compliance with company development process standards and identify/recommend improvements to the development process.
- Provides technical advice within field of expertise to other organization personnel as may be requested.
- Trouble shoot issues and resolve problems on a variety of products.
- Monitors and defines priorities for the projects he/she is working on a daily basis.
- Conducts and participates in a variety of meetings and task force groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, resolve problems and maintain specific level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements and policies.
- Responsible for ensuring that specified quality standards are met for all tasks completed.
- Demonstrates ethical and professional behavior in accordance with company values.
- Performs job duties in a manner that maintains compliance with environmental, health and safety regulations, policies and procedures
- Develop manufacturing processes for new products.
- Complete design and development projects by training and guiding technicians.
- Validation/verification, new product introduction, design for manufacturability and optical testing processes in the Commercial and Military market.
- All other assignments as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Optical or Electro-Optical Engineering from an accredited university and a minimum of 2 years of prior related experience or 2 years post-Secondary/ Associates Degree and a minimum of 6 years of prior related experience. Graduate Degree or equivalent with 0 to 2 years of prior related experience.
- Strong background in optical engineering, technical product development, lasers and laser related optical components 2+ years in a similar technical capacity.
- Knowledge of optical analysis and other tools such as Zemax, Mathcad, Solidworks, Mathematica
- Must be a United States Citizen or US Person as defined by ITAR - 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(20), 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
- Able to work weekends and evenings as required to meet company objectives.
- Capable of working in an environment that is fast-paced, demanding, with a focus on problem resolution and Six Sigma-based process improvement
- Some travel may be required
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.