Fraud Awareness Message
Fraudsters have been known to attempt to use our name to trick job seekers with fake employment opportunities. This type of scam is normally carried out through fake websites, job postings, chat applications, or email accounts claiming to be from L3Harris. To help spot these scams, remember that during our formal recruitment process, L3Harris will NOT (1) ask you for money; (2) offer to send you a check before doing any work; (3) require you to provide sensitive personal information early in the process or sensitive information about your previous employer; (4) send you emails from free commercial services (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail).
If you have been contacted by anyone representing themselves as being from L3Harris and are concerned about their legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at staffing@L3Harris.com .
If you believe you have been scammed, contact local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission here. L3Harris has no responsibility for fraudulent job offers and advises candidates to follow the guidance provided above.
Optical Engineer Intern (Hilton Head, SC)
Hilton Head Island, South CarolinaJob ID IMS20220408-88168
What makes a successful early career professional at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Technologically Savvy
I completed two summer internships at L3Harris before transitioning to a full-time role. I was able to learn firsthand about the engineering process, the quality of products produced, the helpfulness of my co-workers, how the company operates and the potential to expand my career.Jason, Electrical Engineer, Rochester, NY
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Optical Engineer Intern (Hilton Head, SC)
Job Location: Hilton Head, SC
The Optical Engineering Intern is an integral member of the ILS Hilton Head Engineering team. This individual will provide design and critical manufacturing support of specialty Phosphate and Silicate glass, under the guidance of a more senior engineer.
This entry-level position requires the individual to have a well-rounded background with specific focus in materials science and/or chemisty. He / she must possess the ability to work with melt room personnel and provide technical guidance and assist with manufacturing tasks as necessary.
- Ability and willingess to work safely around very hot furnaces and ovens.
- Precision batching of rare-earth element doped glass
- Complete and present and engineering and production test reports
- Create work instructions and technical drawings
- Back-up department lead as required
- Support engineering lead of the department
- Support the production team with glass melting and processing tasks
- Troubleshoot issues with glass operations as needed.
- Recommend design improvements for failure prevention and yield improvements.
- Responsible for ensuring that specified quality standards are met for all tasks completed.
- Demonstrates ethical and professional behavior in accordance with company values
- Performs job duties in a manner that maintains compliance with environmental, health and safety regulations, policies and procedures
- All other assignments as required
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Materials Science
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Able to stand for long periods of time
- Able to lift 50 Lbs
- Ability to be respirator certified
- Possess good hand-eye coordination
- Proven history of reliable attendance
- Possess exceptional communication (both oral and written) and listening skills.
- Detail oriented, and possess the ability to make timely decisions
- Willing to take on new projects and learn additional aspects of the operation
- Possess exceptional communication (both oral and written) and listening skills, with a strong orientation to details, and the ability to make quick, informed decisions.
- Must be able to effectively flow down system requirements into a system test plan.
- Ability to make design review presentations to technical audiences including engineering, manufacturing personnel and management team members.
- Proven success in a fast paced development and manufacturing environment and possess a willingness to take ownership, accept accountability, and thrive under pressure.
- Must be a US Citizen or US Person as defined by ITAR.
- Able to work weekends and evenings as required to meet company objectives.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.