Sr. Systems Engineer
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working with the L3Harris's engineering team, you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
- FULL TIME
- LEVEL: VARIES
- TRAVEL: NONE
What makes a successful Systems Engineer at L3Harris? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
Flexible work schedule, paid overtime, cool technology, no micromanagement, nice campus, fun co-workersSystems Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
Dress for your day
Adoption Cost Benefit
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000 employees and customers in more than 130 countries. L3Harris.com
This senior level position has complete technical and commercial project responsibility for design concept, architecture and specification compliance. These responsibilities may include; technical compliance, customer interface, proposal writing, supplier and manufacturing support.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Systems design to include but not limited to: selection of hardware and development of supporting project documentation.
- Lead engineering control system development tasks including preliminary design, design, integration and formal testing
- Decipher and segregate project requirements into a design specifications incorporating required military specifications, IEEE 45, ABS Regulations, Coast Guard Regulations, etc.
- Responsible for development, monitoring and control of program technical aspects to assigned schedules and budget.
- Follow the guidelines of regulatory body rules incorporating them into the system design, I.E. ABS, MIL Standards, IEEE, USCG, etc.
- Manage and direct various technical disciplines including; software development, electrical design and mechanical design efforts as well as system test and evaluation.
- Interface with executives, customers and end users for the duration of assigned project(s) to insure all needed deliverables are completed as required and all needed support i.e. meetings, reviews and other program events are facilitated.
- Act as Chief Designer for selected projects in order to provide detailed design guidance and overall technical oversight. Management of junior level engineers as required to support program objectives.
- Develop other business opportunities through interface with industry and the technical and program offices of our customer base (PMS 320, PMS 450, Coast Guard, etc.)
- Perform electric plant analysis such as breaker coordination studies, harmonic analysis, etc.
- Evaluate and identify new technologies for implementation
- Maintain standards compliance
- Provide technical support to the Manufacturing Floor during first article fabrication, engineering change incorporation and replacement of obsolete components
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, or related discipline. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of ten (10) years related experience in the aerospace and defense industry with knowledge of US Navy ship systems design and operation is preferred.
- Prior experience with Systems Engineering disciplines and protocols. Ability to conceptualize, architect, design and specify complex control and communications systems.
- Experience leading smaller groups of technical personnel.
- Complete understanding of the Software and System Design and Development processes under SEI Capability Maturity Model – Integrated (CMMI) including system documentation, specification, acceptance testing, requirements traceability, etc.
- Experience with design of ship board power generation, integrated power and propulsion, electric distribution, auxiliary system, propulsion, control and monitoring design.
- Experience performing breaker coordination studies, fault current analysis, etc.
- Experience in business development support
- Background in software development.
Skills, Knowledge and Conditions
- Excellent computer skills with strong proficiency in Windows™ interface, Microsoft Office™ package (Outlook®, Excel®, Word®, PowerPoint®, Project®, Access®, Visio®). Working knowledge of project management systems and Autocad Electrical. Familiarity and working knowledge of cost based accounting systems. Ability to perform financial analysis of projects and cost estimating.
- Ability to work under pressure and time constraints
- Participate in development of long range planning for new projects and facilities
- As new technologies emerge and impact our systems, Expected to learn new technologies very quickly as they emerge and resolve problems
- Effectively works with other employees or individually
- Excellent analytical, project management and organizational skills with keen attention to detail
- Skilled in time, priority and task management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills to guide and mentor personnel. Ability to convey a strong presence, professional image, and deal confidently with complex technical problems.
- Good knowledge of company competitors, including solutions, technology, and product offerings. Knowledge of FAR is a plus.
- Ability to analyze and solve complex problems using analytical and creative problem solving skills. Ability to anticipate problems, resolve ambiguity and take decisive action.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Willingness to travel.
- Must be able to obtain a security clearance, if required.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.