Sr Spec, Spectral Scientist (Top Secret Clearance)
Herndon, VirginiaJob ID SAS20212502-57150
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Sr Spec, Spectral Scientist (Top Secret Clearance)
Job Code: SAS2021502-57150
Job Location: Herndon, VA
L3Harris Geospatial Solutions is seeking a spectral scientist with subject matter expertise in remote sensing data sources to support an exciting opportunity to support a Research and Development projects for a U.S. government customer. The successful candidate should be a self-starter with the ability to collaborate as part of a dedicated team within a dynamic customer environment. This position will be based in the Northern Virginia area.
- Apply remote sensing principles and analysis techniques to assess spectral datasets and solve difficult intelligence problems.
- Evaluate spectral datacubes, products, and conduct standard image exploitation functions.
- Evaluate the usefulness of spectral products and when appropriate make recommendations for improvements in collection, processing, or dissemination.
- Initiate technical discussions with scientific programmers and analysts to create new, innovative mission-specific capabilities.
- Create custom workflow solutions using customer data and the ENVI/IDL software suite.
- Present and explain your results and ideas as presentation briefings before the larger group of contributors.
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum 6 years of prior relevant experience, OR, 2 years post-Secondary/ Associates Degree and a minimum of 10 years of prior related experience, OR, graduate Degree and a minimum of 4 years of prior related experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Remote Sensing, Image Science, Geosciences, or related field
- 3+ years of spectral data processing and exploitation experience
- Active Top Secret clearance
- Active TS/SCI clearance
- 1-3 years of experience in FSTK or the ENVI/IDL software suite
- Experience creating remote sensing processing workflows
- Experience creating models or engineering scripts using IDL, Python, or MATLAB to automate processing
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.