Specialist, Image Scientist (Top Secret Clearance)
Herndon, VirginiaJob ID SAS20212402-57104
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Specialist, Image Scientist (Top Secret Clearance)
Job Code: SAS20212402-57104
Job Location: Herndon, VA
L3Harris Geospatial Solutions isseeking an experienced professional with proficient knowledge of image science and analysis to support an exciting opportunity to support a research and development project for a U.S. government customer. The successful candidate should be a self-starter with the ability to collaborate as part of a dedicated team within a dynamic customer environment. This position will be based in the Northern Virginia area.
- Applies known image science principles and techniques to support product evaluations and studies that quantify the expected performance of a system given varying collection parameters.
- Understands the sensor, atmospheric, and target properties that impact the image path and collected imagery.
- Recommends enhancements to systems and processes; works to achieve operational targets for specific programs and projects.
- Communicates with team members and customers to explain and interpret processes, practices, and procedures.
- Works under general supervision of a co-located senior scientist; but may be responsible for entire projects or processes within the job area.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Image Science, Remote Sensing, Geosciences, or related field
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum 4 years of prior relevant experience, OR, 2 years post-Secondary/ Associates Degree and a minimum of 8 years of prior related experience, OR, Graduate Degree and a minimum of 2 years of prior related experience
- 1-3 years coursework and/or work experience with various imaging systems (i.e. HSI, EO, Radar, IR, LIDAR, SIGINT principles, etc), phenomenology and processing techniques
- Active Top Secret clearance
- Active TS/SCI clearance
- Prior experience evaluating GEOINT systems and products and conducting standard image quality studies.
- Experience developing algorithm requirements and documentation needed for software development.
- Ability to implement engineering code for processing workflows using IDL, MATLAB, or Python scripting languages.
- 1-3 years of exploitation experience using the ENVI/IDL and/or VIPER software suite.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.