Senior Scientific Programmer (Spectral) - Top Secret Clearance
Herndon, VirginiaJob ID SAS20213003-58928
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Senior Scientific Programmer (Spectral) - Top Secret Clearance
Job Code: SAS20213003-58928
Job Location: Herndon, VA
L3Harris Geospatial is seeking a Senior Scientific/Spectral Programmer to support an exciting opportunity to develop an enterprise-based processing, exploitation, and dissemination (PED) routines for a U.S. government customer. The programmer will be self-starter with the ability to collaborate as part of a dedicated team within a dynamic customer environment.
- Apply remote sensing principles and analysis techniques to study data and solve difficult intelligence problems.
- Evaluate the usefulness of spectral products and when appropriate make recommendations for improvements in collection, processing, or dissemination.
- Initiate technical discussions with Scientific Programmers and Analysts to create new, innovative mission-specific capabilities.
- Create custom workflow solutions using customer data and the ENVI/IDL software suite.
- Present and explain your results and ideas as presentation briefings before the larger group of contributors.
- Manage project initiatives of substantial importance to the organization with minimal oversight or direction.
- Communicate within and outside of the organization to explain and influence changes to practices, processes and approaches.
- Provide input into new products/processes. Implement operational plans that have measurable impact on business or functional results.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Image Science, or a related field and 9+ years of relevant professional experience, OR, Graduate degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Image Science, or a related field and 7+ years of relevant professional experience
- 9+ years of experience with remote sensing and/or image science data and principles, with an emphasis on multispectral and hyperspectral phenomenologies
- Active Top Secret security clearance
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Active TS/SCI clearance
- Experience with scripting in IDL and Python, as well as interactive data processing using Harris Geospatial Inc. (HGSI) commercial products
- Experience with the Defense and Intelligence (D&I) community, with a focus on Tradecraft development within a Research and Development (R&D) Environment
- Experience implementing algorithms and remote sensing processing workflows
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.