Principal, Business Development
Herndon, VirginiaJob ID SAS20210604-59275
What makes a successful Business and Operations team member at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
My favorite part of working for L3Harris is knowing that the parts that I procure go into products that help save lives.Lizzie, Procurement Associate, Rochester, NY
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Principal, Strategic Account Manager - Civil Space
Job Location: Herndon, VA preferred
The Strategic Account Manager works directly for the Vice President, Strategy and Business Development and in conjunction with Sector leadership to influence and shape the business portfolio and execution approach, while strategically aligning teams to ensure the delivery against rigorous growth objectives. This role is a critical part of the sector think tank that formulates short, mid, and long-term strategies and plans to identify, create, develop, and realize opportunities across the civil, international and commercial space markets. This role benefits customers in the Civil Space Community – particularly at NASA and NOAA – by partnering to define the long-term strategic intent with US government and shaping the thinking of solutions to achieve overarching civil and international government objectives by utilizing the available expertise of L3Harris. Finally, this role will ensure the transaction and profitable execution of new offerings by supporting the strategic alignment of internal resources to capitalize on available opportunities.
As part of the business development team and in partnership with business segment leadership, the successful candidate will:
- Develop strategies and opportunities to transfer and/or integrate Space Systems and Space Superiority & Geospatial sector technologies, capabilities, and services across agencies and other customers, and to embed other L3Harris sectors’ capabilities and technologies with civil, international and commercial space customers
- Mature account and contact plans for major customers
- Promote and foster continued business development opportunities with existing customers
- Develop and maintain personal, close and trusted relationships with:
- Senior government officials and their staffs throughout the NASA, NOAA, Department of Commerce, and within the Executive Office of the President (OMB, OSTP, etc.)
- Senior leaders and peer counterparts within the civil space industry
- Senior leaders and managers within L3Harris Space Systems and Space Superiority & Geospatial sectors, across business segments, and at the L3Harris corporate staff including government relations
- Shaping and influencing U.S. government policies and budgets
- Translate government needs into L3Harris strategy
- Expand and grow business base by developing new customer relationships, particularly with non-traditional customers such as philanthropic organizations and other non-governmental organizations
- Effectively communicate status of activities above to leadership
- Bachelor's degree or higher with a minimum of 15 years of experience or post-graduate degree and 10 years of experience. Engineering degree preferred.
- 5+ Years' Experience within NASA, NOAA/DOC and Executive Office of the President
- 5+ Years' Experience with Understanding and familiarity with space-based architectures, missions, and markets, and supporting ground systems
- Disciplined, self-starting professional who can bring projects to closure with minimum direction, guidance and oversight
- Ability to Travel – up to 50%
- Secret Clearance Required
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Preferred Clearance: TS/SCI or higher
- Awareness of the L3Hariss Business Acquisition Process (BAP), or similar
- Must work independently under limited supervision
- Background with satellites and satellite subsystems and payloads a plus; understanding of the USG / Civil Space market and missions is imperative
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to translate technical understanding of products and technology for purposes of customer communication and engagement.
- Ability to understand the missions, systems, and subsystems associated with high performance payloads, sensors, and end-to-end mission solutions
- Ability to understand technologies that are applied to L3Harris solutions (satellite busses, sensor systems, integrated payloads, electro-optical and RF systems)
- Ability to understand and influence strategies relative to civil space markets
- Ability to influence the IRAD investment and look for synergies between IRADs to maximize results while minimizing investments.
- Create and foster a business acumen culture which embraces a strategic, proactive approach to support business area leaders through identifying, actively pursuing and closing new business
- Willingness to think independently and assert /support out of the box ideas, willing to push back on ideas and provide alternatives
- Ability to develop a robust and detailed strategic plan for the business, identifying growth opportunities, developing detailed action plans and the ability and personality to drive implementation of the agreed actions
- Demonstrated leadership skills and proven success managing large multi-cultural organizations
- Support the day-to-day business rhythm and reporting
- Participation in forums/conferences to further position L3Harris as a thought leader
- Represent L3Harris at customer meetings, industry-related meetings and conferences
- Develop and execute campaign strategies relative to business capture
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.