Fraud Awareness Message
Fraudsters have been known to attempt to use our name to trick job seekers with fake employment opportunities. This type of scam is normally carried out through fake websites, job postings, chat applications, or email accounts claiming to be from L3Harris. To help spot these scams, remember that during our formal recruitment process, L3Harris will NOT (1) ask you for money; (2) offer to send you a check before doing any work; (3) require you to provide sensitive personal information early in the process or sensitive information about your previous employer; (4) send you emails from free commercial services (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail).
If you have been contacted by anyone representing themselves as being from L3Harris and are concerned about their legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at staffing@L3Harris.com .
If you believe you have been scammed, contact local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission here. L3Harris has no responsibility for fraudulent job offers and advises candidates to follow the guidance provided above.
Manager, Software Engineering
Herndon, VirginiaJob ID AS20212510-71534
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Manager, SW Engineering
Job Location: Herndon, Virginia
L3Harris Corporation is a leading technology innovator, solving customers' toughest mission-critical challenges by providing solutions that connect, inform, and protect. L3Harris supports government and commercial customers around the world.
The L3Harris Surveillance and Automation Solutions Business Area has opened a Manager, Software Engineering position to support surveillance missions involving manned and unmanned systems. This business area is a recognized, vibrant, and growing organization providing unsurpassed engineering, management, operations, implementation, and information solutions for worldwide Air Traffic Control. We are in the forefront of the FAA's NextGen Airspace Modernization Programs, international Air Traffic Control Systems initiatives, and next generation timing and location solutions. This work includes modernizing from a ground-based system of air traffic control to a satellite-based system of air traffic management, improving communications between pilots and air traffic controllers enabling more efficient operations and reducing communications errors and radio congestion, and developing leading-edge concepts in all dimensions of air traffic control.
In this role, you will be responsible for functional management of the Software Engineering and Software Configuration Management (SCM) personnel and the ideal candidate will bring a blend of leadership knowledge and comprehensive knowledge within the software and SCM discipline. This position encompasses responsibility for personnel management and career development in a matrixed organization. The Software GL responsibilities will be worked in conjunction with other technical and direct labor tasking as approximately 50% of the role will be dedicated to Software GL duties while the remaining 50% will be spent working directly on programs and proposal activities.
- Actively involved in all phases of the software life cycle for various manned and unmanned Air Traffic Management systems.
- Responsibilities include planning, developing, and coordinating employee training and professional development requirements, including conducting performance reviews, talent assessment, career development planning, salary and merit planning, and recognition.
- Identify and implement discipline-specific improvements to engineering processes, promoting cross-team and cross-functional collaboration and mentoring.
- Establish short-term operational plans and provide performance metrics to calibrate bid accuracy and function/business area results.
- Ensure software products are released at the appropriate points in the program lifecycle.
- Support collection and analysis of metrics related to software performance, along with associated process improvements.
- Develop the technical competence in staff to close skill gaps and to achieve satisfactory succession planning.
- Support proposal activities, including validation of basis of estimates.
- Meet Company specified goals flowed down from executive management.
- Create and maintain project and product line documentation to support project deliverables and follow-on development efforts across the surveillance product line.
- Derive requirements, design, implement, integrate, release, and test software for various manned and unmanned Air Traffic Management systems.
- Provide weekly status to the project and engineering leadership.
- Ability to obtain a Public Trust Clearance.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field
- Minimum fifteen years of prior relevant experience.
- Ten (10) years of experience leading software technical teams and delegating work assignments.
- Minimum of five (5) years' experience with Agile, DevOps and Software Configuration Management.
- Knowledge and experience in advanced software engineering and Software CM technologies
- Experience with hiring, training, career development planning, and any disciplinary activities.
- Hands-on experience in software development, testing and releasing of real-time software products/systems.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Strong initiative with an ability to work in a dynamic team-oriented environment.
- Software Automation techniques and tools.
- Experience with DevOps tools including Experience with Atlassian tools, Jira, Confluence, GitLab, Git.
- Software build/release and continuous deployment.
- Broad systems experience with emphasis in systems integration (hardware and software) and testing.
- Hands-on experience with data networks including knowledge of network protocols.
- Previous experience using Linux operating systems.
- Previous experience with FAA systems/programs is a plus.
- Hands-on experience with SQL databases.
- Hands-on experience with avionics, RF data links, RADAR systems.
- The successful candidate will possess strong initiative, curiosity, and desire to learn.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize customer issues and needs, and work across a wide variety of systems.
- Demonstrated proficiency in verbal and written communication skills
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
- Medical with a High Deductible and traditional PPO plan options, as well as, vision and a full array of supplemental health benefits
- A doctors' service to help with referrals and second opinions for you, your family, and parents
- 4 weeks of paid parental leave for moms and dads
- Fertility treatment
- Subsidized backup childcare and eldercare
- Adoption assistance - $5,000 per adoption/$15,000 per employee
- Pet insurance
- No cap to your PTO time (for exempt employees)
- Dress for your day - wear what works for you at work
- Legal plan for you, your family, and parents
- Discount platform