Division Director - Engineering
Herndon, Virginia; Millersville, Maryland; Northampton, Massachusetts; Chesapeake, Virginia; Fall River, MassachusettsJob ID IMS20211904-59890
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
The Director, Engineering is responsible for providing strategic technical leadership, establishing and directing all aspects of the division engineering policies, objectives and initiatives based on long-term product and profitability goals. S/he is responsible for supplying and maintaining adequate resources for all engineering functions in the pursuit of the division’s strategic goals and operational plans.
The Director, Engineering’s primary responsibility is to lead a team to cultivate innovative product solutions, advance critical technology enablers, and execute product development projects that serve the Government/DoD, International and Commercial markets for the division. The position requires flexibility to manage multiple customer requirements while using analytical and strategic skills to successfully win business and transition products into production. The Director of Engineering must be able to interact with Sector peers, Segment and Corporate technical leaders and diverse customers. The successful candidate is an experienced technical and business professional who is able to focus simultaneously on near and long term objectives.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Build, lead and manage the cross-functional engineering organization dedicated to the ongoing advancement of the Engineering team and division product roadmaps.
- Work with the Engineering Management Team to conduct ongoing skills assessment and proactively address potential skills gaps. Lead and mentor the engineering management team to continue to develop strong technical leaders.
- Planning and execution of product development, from product definition through production transition, across all markets to meet division goals and objectives.
- Manage the IRAD and Engineering department budgets.
- Champion the New Product Introduction process.
- Act as decision maker for high level / high impact engineering issues.
- Provide supporting analysis to sector leadership for potential merger and acquisition candidates.
- Working in conjunction with the Sector leadership, co-develop the organization’s growth and product strategy.
- Develop and support a culture of continuous improvement and best practices within the Engineering organization.
- Maintain a climate of fostering a high level of employee motivation, performance, and commitment. Oversees staffing plans and reviews work plans and schedules for each phase of a project in accordance with time limitations and funding.
- Represents organization with major customers and stakeholders.
- All other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering; A Master’s degree in Engineering is desired
- A Master’s of Business Administration is highly desired
- 15 years of applicable experience in a product development role; DoD experience a must
- Experienced in project or program management, DoD proposals and at least 10 years’ experience leading cross functional teams
- Must hold an active Secret level Security Clearance; a Top Secret/SCI is preferred
Leadership – exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others. Accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
Analytical – synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
Problem Solving – identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyses information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Communication – expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Innovation – displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas.
Change Management – develops workable implementation plans; communicates changes effectively; builds commitment and overcomes resistance’ prepares and supports those affected by change; monitors transition and evaluates results.
Teamwork – exhibits objectivity and openness to others; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of organization above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Strategic Thinking – develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; understands organization’s strengths and weaknesses; analyzes market and competition; adapts strategy to changing conditions.
SCOPE AND INFLUENCE
Advanced technical understanding in core product and technology areas. Understanding of how DoD business is conducted.
Uses data, engineering principles and formal root cause analysis tools to assess and solve technical problems.
Provided goals and objectives and requires little oversight for execution.
Responsible for the technical success of the organization.
Contacts are with internal teams, sector and segment leadership and external customers.
Positon requires travel up to 20% of the time to attend customer meetings, have face-to-face meetings with offsite employees and interact with customers.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.