Fraud Awareness Message
Fraudsters have been known to attempt to use our name to trick job seekers with fake employment opportunities. This type of scam is normally carried out through fake websites, job postings, chat applications, or email accounts claiming to be from L3Harris. To help spot these scams, remember that during our formal recruitment process, L3Harris will NOT (1) ask you for money; (2) offer to send you a check before doing any work; (3) require you to provide sensitive personal information early in the process or sensitive information about your previous employer; (4) send you emails from free commercial services (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail).
If you have been contacted by anyone representing themselves as being from L3Harris and are concerned about their legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at staffing@L3Harris.com .
If you believe you have been scammed, contact local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission here. L3Harris has no responsibility for fraudulent job offers and advises candidates to follow the guidance provided above.
Engineering Designer - Hardware Test
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
9/80 work schedule available for most U.S. and Canada employees, effective October 24, 2022.
Test Engineering Designer - Hardware
L3HARRIS WESCAM Division
About L3HARRIS WESCAM
As a subsidiary of L3Harris Technologies and within the Integrated Mission Systems Segment, the WESCAM division develops the most advanced optical sensor and targeting systems for global defense and military sectors, National Security, Search & Rescue and Airborne law enforcement agencies. From long-range covert surveillance missions to search and rescue operations, our MX-series systems, and the mission systems solutions they are a part of, produce stabilized high-magnification electro1-optical and infrared images from airborne, marine and ground based platforms, enabling our customers to see first and act first.
The Test Engineer / Designer role at L3Harris will join the WESCAM Operations Test Engineering team and be responsible for designing custom test hardware to validate complex electrical assemblies and sub-assemblies used in our Electro-Optical/Infrared Sensor systems. The Test Engineer/ Test Engineering Designer will take ownership to design and develop new test systems used to perform automated functional tests of Circuit Card Assemblies and Electromechanical Assemblies during manufacturing as well as support internal production processes with Optics and Laser Systems testing, Environment Stress Screening, and all other automated test equipment necessary for production.
- Designing, developing and supporting functional and system test boxes, and test wiring harnesses
- Defining test requirements, developing schematics, PCB layouts, and test interface wiring harnesses
- Follow departmental processes for test development including design reviews, configuration management, requirements management and test equipment qualification
- Design, develop and manage Boundary Scan tests and pass thru’ assembly tests
- Participate in New Product Introduction (NPI) design phases and provide input to stage gate design reviews (PDR, CDR and PRR) to ensure appropriate Design For Testability (DFT) requirements are met
- Evaluate new designs and determine compatibility with existing test capabilities by working closely with the design engineering team to make sure that Test Engineering objectives are met on new designs
- Work with members of the NPI teams to assess testability and determine test requirements and methods for new assemblies including circuit card assemblies, cameras and lenses
- Perform technical reviews and provide feedback on the designs of fellow Test Engineers/Test Engineering Designer
- Engages in continuous improvement to enhance Test Automation and Test architecture
- Select and justify capital equipment purchases associated with product testing
- Support quality practices (AS9100 and ISO9001)
- Broad technical understanding of various technologies in Electronics and Test Engineering.
- Practical knowledge of circuit card assemblies, wiring harnesses, and circuit card manufacturing processes.
- Experience designing custom circuit cards using OrCad Capture and Allegro PCB layout.
- Experience designing with microcontrollers, FPGA's and programming in VHDL.
- Strong working knowledge of communications protocols (i.e. RS232, RS422, USB, I2C, CAN Bus, Ethernet etc.).
- Experience with SDI video standards and signal analysis techniques
- Experience designing and developing functional tests and/or automation systems using LabVIEW & C# is an asset.
- Familiarity with JTAG Boundary Scan testing.
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements
- University Degree in Electrical / Computer Engineering, or equivalent.
- 5-10 years of relevant and recent experience in Test / Electrical Engineering.
- P.Eng designation an asset, but not required.
Our work environment is both challenging and dynamic – our physical environment is state of the art. Here’s what you can expect as an L3Harris WESCAM employee
- Brand new, custom-built 330,000 sq ft Engineering and Production facility atop the Waterdown escarpment in Hamilton
- Close to hiking paths along the Bruce trail
- Every other Friday off (paid – with our rare 9/80 work schedule)
- 18000 sq ft subsidized Café including 12 mini- Café areas throughout the complex
- Free10,000 sq ft on-site gym
- Free wellness programs
- Free fruit, bagels and coffee
- Remote/hybrid work options, hoteling stations providing flexibility and multiple work options
- Wellness rooms – first aid, prayer, mother’s room and quiet zones
- Work/Life balance
- Real opportunities for growth and development
- A diverse and inclusive working culture
- Everyone’s role at L3HARRIS WESCAM contributes to protecting people’s lives
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that diversity among our employees makes us a stronger organization.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion within our L3Harris WESCAM family, and our community by welcoming and encouraging applications from anyone interested without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran's status, Aboriginal status or any other legally-protected groups. For people with disabilities, we work with you throughout the recruitment process to ensure you have what you need in order to be at your best. If you require any accommodation for any part of the recruitment/interview process, or as you begin your career with us just let us know and we will take care of you.
This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties as necessary.