Fraud Awareness Message
Fraudsters have been known to attempt to use our name to trick job seekers with fake employment opportunities. This type of scam is normally carried out through fake websites, job postings, chat applications, or email accounts claiming to be from L3Harris. To help spot these scams, remember that during our formal recruitment process, L3Harris will NOT (1) ask you for money; (2) offer to send you a check before doing any work; (3) require you to provide sensitive personal information early in the process or sensitive information about your previous employer; (4) send you emails from free commercial services (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail).
If you have been contacted by anyone representing themselves as being from L3Harris and are concerned about their legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at staffing@L3Harris.com .
If you believe you have been scammed, contact local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission here. L3Harris has no responsibility for fraudulent job offers and advises candidates to follow the guidance provided above.
Senior Software Designer
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
9/80 work schedule available for most U.S. and Canada employees, effective October 24, 2022.
Senior Software Designer
L3HARRIS WESCAM Division
About L3HARRIS WESCAM
As a subsidiary of L3Harris Technologies and within the Integrated Mission Systems Segment, the WESCAM division develops the most advanced optical sensor and targeting systems for global defense and military sectors, National Security, Search & Rescue and Airborne law enforcement agencies. From long-range covert surveillance missions to search and rescue operations, our MX-series systems, and the mission systems solutions they are a part of, produce stabilized high-magnification electro1-optical and infrared images from airborne, marine and ground based platforms, enabling our customers to see first and act first.
About the Role
Our software teams work directly with our optics and hardware teams – developing code that manages all of our systems controllers and actuators, telephoto lenses or targeting & tracking systems - and in particular, code that allows those captured images to be defined and managed. We develop advanced real time software for various applications and processors, including new payloads like complex imagers, laser illuminators & targeting designators, range finders and trackers. We develop the embedded controls and user interfaces for complex electro-mechanical systems including remote I/O subsystems, custom lens controllers, and advanced video processing features.
- Responsibility for development of assigned projects and implementation of strategic goals, established by leadership, as a team leader and technical contributor. This position bridges leadership and technical responsibilities.
- Determine, assign and manage project tasks with team\ members allocated to the specific project. Work with the Manager to choose the proper skillset for the project.
- Establishes operational plans for job area with short-term impact on results
- Frequently responsible for managing large, complex project initiatives of strategic importance to the organization, involving large cross-functional teams
- Formulate specific design and project tasks based on overall project goals defined by the manager.
- Support the Manager in the performance assessment of personnel to be considered in yearly reviews. This position does not have direct reports.
- Schedule and actively participate in technical design reviews to ensure design integrity is achieved.
- Participate in developing and maintaining the related engineering design practices, processes and standards.
- Provide the required metrics, reports and performance measures to the Manager.
- Work is guided by individual annual goals and objectives with minimal oversight or direction.
- Frequently responsible for providing guidance, coaching and training to other employees across the Company within area of expertise.
- Develop a strong presence across engineering and other areas of the business to maximize collaboration and synergy in an effort to meet project goals.
- Watch for new technologies and leadership trends that may impact present and future product development.
- Assist Software Engineering Management Team in authoring and implementing highly reliable standards compliant software engineering sub-processes as assigned (i.e. DO-178C, ISO12207 or equivalent)
- Complete other tasks and projects as assigned by the Manager.
- Track record of being a strong technical contributor across a wide range of technical problems and across multiple developments.
- Have shown leadership potential on assigned projects.
- Have shown the ability to build and maintain professional relationships within and outside of engineering.
- Design, integration, validation and verification of complex software, electrical and electro-optic integrated systems and subsystems
- Understanding of Software Engineering principals and best practices
- Strong project and technical management skills
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to learn and grow within a fast paced environment
- Meets the requirements of the Controlled Goods Registration Program and is eligible for a Canadian government security clearance
Desired Education and Experiences
- Bachelor of Computer Engineering or equivalent (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Technology Diploma with sufficient demonstrated experience)
- Minimum of 9 years of experience in Software Engineering with progressive experience.
About L3Harris Technologies
In July 2019 – L3 Technologies and Harris Corp merged to become L3Harris Technologies, becoming an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains.
Our customers perform on the world’s most challenging front lines. They trust us to keep them prepared for what’s next. We combine speed, innovation and flawless execution to give people confidence and security in the world ahead.
As we relentlessly pursue new ideas, we know that everything we bring to market must deliver, without fail, every time. The urgency of our quest is matched by our commitment to the people we serve. In a world of ever accelerating change, threat environments move fast. We move forward faster, delivering industry-leading value.
Organized into four segments – Integrated Mission Systems, Communications Systems, Space & Airborne Systems and Aviation Systems – L3Harris Technologies employs over 50,000 people worldwide in over 130 countries with annual revenues approximately $17 billion.
To learn more, visit https://www.l3harris.com/capabilities
Our work environment is both challenging and dynamic – our physical environment is state of the art. Here’s what you can expect as an L3Harris WESCAM employee
- Brand new, custom-built 330,000 sq ft Engineering and Production facility atop the Waterdown escarpment in Hamilton
- Close to hiking paths along the Bruce trail
- Every other Friday off (paid – with our rare 9/80 work schedule)
- 18000 sq ft subsidized Café including 12 mini- Café areas throughout the complex
- Free10,000 sq ft on-site gym
- Free wellness programs
- Free fruit, bagels and coffee
- Remote/hybrid work options, hoteling stations providing flexibility and multiple work options
- Wellness rooms – first aid, prayer, mother’s room and quiet zones
- Work/Life balance
- Real opportunities for growth and development
- A diverse and inclusive working culture
- Everyone’s role at L3HARRIS WESCAM contributes to protecting people’s lives
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that diversity among our employees makes us a stronger organization.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion within our L3Harris WESCAM family, and our community by welcoming and encouraging applications from anyone interested without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran's status, Aboriginal status or any other legally-protected groups. For people with disabilities, we work with you throughout the recruitment process to ensure you have what you need in order to be at your best. If you require any accommodation for any part of the recruitment/interview process, or as you begin your career with us just let us know and we will take care of you.
This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties as necessary.