Fraud Awareness Message
Fraudsters have been known to attempt to use our name to trick job seekers with fake employment opportunities. This type of scam is normally carried out through fake websites, job postings, chat applications, or email accounts claiming to be from L3Harris. To help spot these scams, remember that during our formal recruitment process, L3Harris will NOT (1) ask you for money; (2) offer to send you a check before doing any work; (3) require you to provide sensitive personal information early in the process or sensitive information about your previous employer; (4) send you emails from free commercial services (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail).
If you have been contacted by anyone representing themselves as being from L3Harris and are concerned about their legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at staffing@L3Harris.com .
If you believe you have been scammed, contact local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission here. L3Harris has no responsibility for fraudulent job offers and advises candidates to follow the guidance provided above.
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
About L3HARRIS WESCAM
Within L3HARRIS’ Integrated Mission Systems Segment, is the Electro-Optical Sector – of which L3HARRIS WESCAM sits atop as the world’s leading developer and integrator of gyro-stabilized EO/IR multi-spectral optics, imaging and laser tracking / targeting / designator systems.
With over 5000 systems fielded globally, L3HARRIS WESCAM products and systems can be found on over 300 platforms in the airborne (fixed-wing, rotary-wing and aerostat), land and maritime domains. The global dominance of L3HARRIS WESCAM in this marketplace is due to being a pioneer in each of the disciplines that are central to world-class Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance systems:
- Gimbals Technology that employs highly coveted gyro-stabilization and vibration isolation technologies to generate shudder-free images in the most demanding mobile environments.
- Electro-Optics capability that generate long-range high definition EO/IR images in a wide array of light and visibility conditions, all packaged into masted or under-mount spherical turrets, ranging between 8” and 25” in diameter.
- Sensors payloads that include laser targeting, range-finding, illumination, tracking and designation as well as Control Systems that provide precise motion control for the optical system, maintain its exact location and orientation, and orient the antennas for efficient downlink communication.
- Communications and Softwarethat deliver a secure, digital microwave link that allows remote operation of the camera as well as real time image processing and enhancement.
With over 1500 talented employees developing, configuring, building and assembling over 750 sensor systems annually and 2021 revenues approaching $1B CDN, L3HARRIS WESCAM is positioned for more growth over the coming years into expanded markets, leveraging fully integrated systems on multiple platforms from sea to space.
About the Role
Our Mechanical Engineers are responsible for design of highly complex opto-mechanical and electromechanical components from concept straight through to production. Although our work is driven by specific objectives, goals and defined boundaries, we execute our work under wide guidelines.
Education and Experiences We Seek
- You are an experienced and well-rounded engineer with a track record of developing complex products from concept through to production. You’ve done this for many years and enjoy the work; it is what you were meant to do.
- You have the ability to quickly understand a problem, develop options and then converge on a detailed design.
- You prefer to do your own drawings so that you can effectively convey the intent of your design, but you have no problem downloading design and detailing work to other staff if business needs demand it.
- You are confident in your abilities, but humble in your approach.
- You respect the different skills that others in the team have to offer, and you expect respect in return. You are an open and effective communicator because you believe that this is the only way you could ever possibly operate.
- You are an expert is 3D CAD, preferably SolidWorks, but CAD is just a tool, your brain does the real work.
- You aren’t an analysis expert, but you know your way around analysis tools and methods so that you can do most of your own design verification.
- You are well versed in a wide variety of manufacturing methods, and if you need to learn a new method you figure it out even if you need to get on a plane to visit a vendor or get some training.
- You probably have never design an EO/IR imaging system for surveillance or military purposes, but this is OK and doesn't scare you as you have assembled all of the core skills over the years that will allow you to figure it out.
- You’ve designed lots of electronic packaging solutions, mechanisms, and have a good sense for what’s commercially available and what you need to design.
- You have a Bachelors or Advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering
- You have concise technical and interpersonal communication skills, project management skill and the ability to meet conflicting deadlines driven by varying stakeholders.
- You problem solving using critical thinking and decisive reasoning
It Would Be Great if You Also Had
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, matrixed environment
- Effective communication and presentation abilities with all levels of staff / peers / managers
- Proven ability to identify performance issues and implement the necessary changes in a timely and effective manner
- A self-starting, hands-on, “roll-up-the-sleeves” approach combined with a confident, executive presence
- Champions a culture of accountability
- Exceptional problem solving skills
- The ability to see and apply ‘big-picture’ thinking
About L3Harris Integrated Mission Systems (IMS) Segment
L3HARRIS’ Integrated Mission Systems Segment brings together a broad collection of some 30+ unique L3HARRIS sectors and divisions across 8 business areas to offer a diverse portfolio of innovative sensor and intelligence technologies across the maritime, land, airborne, space, cyber and warfighter domains. Our Segment is comprised of ~15,000 employees in 40+ locations over 5 countries including 16 states in the US, and is a global partner of choice delivering innovative capabilities to gather, share and protect intelligence for a more secure world.
About L3HARRIS Technologies
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately USD$18 billion in annual revenue and 50000 employees in more than 100 countries. To learn more, visit L3Harris.com
Our work environment is both challenging and dynamic – our physical environment is state of the art. Here’s what you can expect as an L3Harris WESCAM employee
- Brand new, custom-built 330,000 sq ft Engineering and Production facility atop the Waterdown escarpment in Hamilton
- Close to hiking paths along the Bruce trail
- Every other Friday off (paid – with our rare 9/80 work schedule)
- 18000 sq ft subsidized Café including 12 mini- Café areas throughout the complex
- Free10,000 sq ft on-site gym
- Free wellness programs
- Free fruit, bagels and coffee
- Remote/hybrid work options, hoteling stations providing flexibility and multiple work options
- Wellness rooms – first aid, prayer, mother’s room and quiet zones
- Work/Life balance
- Real opportunities for growth and development
- A diverse and inclusive working culture
- Everyone’s role at L3HARRIS WESCAM contributes to protecting people’s lives
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that diversity among our employees makes us a stronger organization.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion within our L3Harris WESCAM family, and our community by welcoming and encouraging applications from anyone interested without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran's status, Aboriginal status or any other legally-protected groups. For people with disabilities, we work with you throughout the recruitment process to ensure you have what you need in order to be at your best. If you require any accommodation for any part of the recruitment/interview process, or as you begin your career with us just let us know and we will take care of you.
This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties as necessary.