Senior Specialist, Network Communications
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000 employees and customers in more than 130 countries. L3Harris.com
Job Title: Senior Specialist, Network Communications
Job Code: IMS20202708-49962
Job Location: Greenville, Texas
The Network Communications Specialist works on a team responsible for management, operations, and maintenance for the L3Harris Local Area Network and other components. Individual shall operate, monitor, manage, maintain, install and troubleshoot network infrastructure devices and services. Maintains system integrity, and upgrades systems and/or network equipment as required. Initiative and proactive planning are vital to maintain and grow provided services. Must be a self-starter and remain up to date on technology. May create and document new methods supporting network/system operations and implement changes to procedures. Consults with support teams, helpdesks, customers, and other technical staff in the resolution of problems, identifies recurring problems and recommends steps to reduce their severity or frequency. May plan for the transition of development and/or production environments to new technologies, utilize system software to monitor the performance of systems, manage system data to maintain performance efficiencies and/or study system requirements to determine proper installation methods, procedures, and configurations. Individuals will provide on-call support for after hours, weekends, and holidays.
- Provide administrative support of installed systems/networks; assigning and controlling addresses, revising system configurations.
- Plan, evaluate, and coordinate installation and/or reconfiguration of hardware and software elements of data and/or voice communication network.
- Provide compilation of records and reports concerning network operations and maintenance.
- Troubleshoots network performance issues.
- Analyzes network traffic and provides capacity planning solutions.
- Monitors and responds to hardware, software, and network problems.
- Troubleshoots network systems when necessary and makes improvements to the network.
- May also be called upon to travel which may involve lifting equipment to complete an installation.
- Provide 3rd level technical support to end-users and administrators.
- Participate in rotating “on-call” schedule.
- Prepares or ensures that appropriate network documentation exists, including operational instructions.
- Provides regular monitoring and network analysis regarding short and long-range planning for internal systems.
- May design network or portions of a network that include selection of hardware and software.
- Install, test, analyze, and provide problem resolution for all hardware and software elements of the data communication network.
- Provide technical analysis in data network planning, engineering, and design.
- Analyze user requests to determine needs, and recommends appropriate equipment and software.
- Make corrections necessary to communication systems hardware and software to ensure the availability of the data network.
- Propose solutions to management to provide all the data communications requirements based upon future needs and current usage, configuring such solutions to optimize cost savings.
Bachelor degree and a minimum of six (6) years of applicable experience. A degree in Computer Science or related technical field is strongly desired. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Experience administrating switches and routes in an enterprise environment.
- Working knowledge of how to work with networks of differing classification levels.
- Working knowledge of network encryption methods and devices.
- Working knowledge of SolarWinds and its various add-on tools.
- Knowledge of network analysis tools, Cisco IOS, Net Flow, and Simple Network Management Protocol.
- LAN troubleshooting/problem determination skills (Ethernet, Spanning-Tree, VLANS, VTP, UDLD, CDP, HSRP, etc.)
- Strong understanding of TCP/IP, DHCP, standard network protocols.
- Expert knowledge of IP services (IPv4, VPN, Multicast, QOS, SNMP, VOIP, VTC, etc.)
- Strong understanding and working knowledge of Cisco, HP ProCurve/ComWare, Riverbed, NetScaler, Checkpoint, Aruba, Juniper SSL Appliances and PaltoAlto firewalls.
- Knowledge of Cisco routing/switching and Firewall software including: Cisco IOS, CatOS, ASA OS, and NX-OS.
Position requires the ability and willingness to travel approximately 10%.
Position requires the ability to obtain and maintain CompTIA Security+ certification or an accepted alternate certification.
Obtain Security Clearance – Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.