L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Manufacturing Engineer
Job Code: AS20201110-51688
Job Location: Grand Rapids, MI
As a Manufacturing Engineer you will be responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating manufacturing processes in industrial plant by performing the following duties. The individual in this position has the responsibility and the authority to carry out assigned tasks.
- Develop, evaluate, and improve manufacturing methods utilizing Lean Manufacturing concepts and initiatives. Operational objectives are reduced mfg cycle times, 1st pass yield, continuous flow and finite resource allocation (fixed batch size).
- Organize the workplace for optimum material flow and best utilization of workers time.
- Implement a common technology approach to move from batch process methods toward a work cell design where ever practical, and install Visual systems to direct the flow of materials.
- Set the work flow expectations in each work cell using resource synchronizing techniques to level the resource utilization of people, machines, and time.
- With a key focus on cycle time reduction, engineer the work flow for a specified capacity, and to determine the capital and human resource needs.
- Develop the work cell design parameters for each family of product. These parameters are designed with the cooperation of the work cell members, the planner and supervisor, and others with ideas. The goal is to specify the resource requirements to produce a specific batch size work order, and to provide parameter rules for job release in support of finite resource allocation.
- Set and monitor performance to standards to manage process capability, and look for ways of improving the process cycle time.
- Monitors quality and yield, and act as the technical liaison between the production team and product design for timely resolution of problems
- Analyze and plan work force utilization, space requirements, and workflow, and design layout of equipment and workspace for maximum efficiency. Conversant in the Operations Division ISO procedures and systems.
- Coordinates with planning and design staff concerning product design and tooling to ensure efficient production methods, which may include the investigation and justification of capital improvements, facility layouts, and new technology implementation.
- Confer with vendors to determine product specifications and arrange for purchase of equipment, materials, or parts, and evaluates products according to specifications and quality standards.
- Estimate production times, staffing requirements, and related costs to provide information for management decisions.
- Confer with management, engineering, and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, and other considerations to facilitate production processes.
- Apply statistical methods to estimate future manufacturing requirements and potential, and to provide corrective or preventative actions necessary to control and improve processes.
- Act as technology resource for the operations department, able to lead improvement assignments using latest developments in Agile Manufacturing, Lean Manufacturing and Visual Systems techniques.
- Responsible for day to day quality assurance activities to assure internal and external drawing and regulatory requirements are met.
- Act as quality liaison for MRB (material review board) activities under authority of the Quality Director, supports customer visitation and source inspection activities, and performs 8130 ship table activities.
- Perform sustaining engineering activities on assigned products, in concert with product design sustaining engineering. Generate, review, approve and implement engineering change notice (ECN) activity as required.
- Performs job duties in a manner consistent with established L3Harris Ethics Standards.
- Observes established safety rules and regulations; including, but not limited to the use and maintenance of required personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, etc.
- Bachelor of Science, prefer a degree in Manufacturing or Industrial Engineering;
- 4 years related experience within a Manufacturing environment - Aerospace is preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to certify and retain all appropriate skills training certifications for related product acceptance stamp and/or job duties per SOPs 1811Q and 1211Q and as required by the Director of Quality.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Sufficient English language skills to be able to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, procedure manuals and work instruction process in English. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, and the general public.
- Prefer experience in avionics industry.
- Electronics background is a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.