Fraud Awareness Message
Fraudsters have been known to attempt to use our name to trick job seekers with fake employment opportunities. This type of scam is normally carried out through fake websites, job postings, chat applications, or email accounts claiming to be from L3Harris. To help spot these scams, remember that during our formal recruitment process, L3Harris will NOT (1) ask you for money; (2) offer to send you a check before doing any work; (3) require you to provide sensitive personal information early in the process or sensitive information about your previous employer; (4) send you emails from free commercial services (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail).
If you have been contacted by anyone representing themselves as being from L3Harris and are concerned about their legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at staffing@L3Harris.com .
If you believe you have been scammed, contact local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission here. L3Harris has no responsibility for fraudulent job offers and advises candidates to follow the guidance provided above.
Goleta, CaliforniaJob ID IMS20222605-83102
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working with the L3Harris's engineering team, you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Systems Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
Flexible work schedule, paid overtime, cool technology, no micromanagement, nice campus, fun co-workersSystems Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
- Medical with a High Deductible and traditional PPO plan options, as well as, vision and a full array of supplemental health benefits
- A doctors' service to help with referrals and second opinions for you, your family, and parents
- 4 weeks of paid parental leave for moms and dads
- Fertility treatment
- Subsidized backup childcare and eldercare
- Adoption assistance - $5,000 per adoption/$15,000 per employee
- Pet insurance
- No cap to your PTO time (for exempt employees)
- Dress for your day - wear what works for you at work
- Legal plan for you, your family, and parents
- Discount platform
- 9/80 work schedule available for most U.S. employees, effective October 24, 2022.
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Successful candidate will have choice to report to either Goleta, CA or Valencia, CA office once to twice a week. Must have the ability to travel to Goleta, CA, as needed. Company will cover cost for travel accommodations, if the candidate is reporting into Valencia, CA ***
About L3Harris Integrated Mission Systems - Maritime Sector
With facilities aligned to the Pacific, Atlantic and Gulf coasts, L3Harris’ Maritime Sector is renowned for our ability to develop, integrate, test and deliver advanced sensor products and systems to Naval and Maritime customer communities, including the U.S. Navy, international navies, Fortune 500 companies and seismic geophysical exploration service providers.
Our primary market segments include:
U.S. Navy towed arrays, hull arrays and telemetry systems
Optical sensing systems
Surface ship and submarine self-defense sensors
Redeployable systems for undersea surveillance and homeland defense
Unmanned surface and undersea vehicle low-power sensors
Geophysical streamers, sea floor seismic and autonomous recording modules
We are strategically positioned to support growing defense and homeland security needs, as well as commercial geophysical exploration and exploitation systems. Our business model is ideally suited to provide customers with high-performance, cost-effective and dual-use technologies in both military and commercial markets. Our strategy is to exploit our core competencies and continue to offer flexibility as a component supplier, subsystem integrator and prime contractor.
About the Role
We are looking for dynamic technical leader who can develop and drive complex maritime solutions programs with our naval customers and expand to new application spaces and expanded roles in systems development. The key role requires a unique combination of engineering and business development skills to craft advanced mission solutions to complex problems, capture funding necessary for development of innovative sensors and systems and help guide the successful development of industry-leading products.
About Your Background
Technical Acumen Demonstrated: through successful product and systems development experiences involving complex sensor components, sub-systems, and systems such as optics, visible/infrared detector arrays, detector cryogenic cooling, digital/analog video and signal processing electronics, solid-state lasers, radars/ladars, pointing and stabilization instruments and control algorithms, and search/track and image reconstruction/exploitation and algorithms and software - particularly high-performance computing.
Requirements Development: with the ability to enter the customer’s environment, find out how the customer will use the system, and translate the voice of the customer into requirements and trade-offs that can be evaluated via alternative designs; additional skill in successfully influencing system requirements which the end-customer desired.
Creative Technical Solutions: that integrate multiple disciplines or technologies into non-obvious system architectures that provide meaningfully unique and differentiated capability. This requires and understanding of current and proposed competitive solutions, key performance indicators, and end-user mission objectives as well as understanding of interplay between technologies and engineering design.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with cross-functional staff within L3Harris Maritime Sector and in other L3Harris segments as appropriate to leverage technology and product investments.
- Collaborate with L3Harris colleagues to conceptualize system architectures, define key capabilities, performance requirements, system implementation approaches and operational concepts.
- Maintain and continually update awareness and knowledge of the industry to best advise the L3Harris Maritime sector on current and future market trends and developments.
- Identify potential strategic technology partners, alliances and relationships to enhance/expand core product lines and/or to create new product lines.
- Identify, prioritize, and pursue R&D funds to meet strategic technical objectives and revenue targets.
- Support or lead proposal efforts, from strategy development through final review.
- Contribute to strategic planning, including definition of technology and product road maps; also includes identification of new business acquisition and capital expenditures needed to achieve strategic goals/objectives.
- Oversee/guide the development of advanced sensor systems to ensure that technical, programmatic, and cost objectives are met, thereby meeting or exceeding customer and L3Harris Distributed Maritime Operations objectives.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of technology and capability gaps, for conventional and non-conventional customers, where L3Harris has or can obtain a competitive advantage. This requires establishing and maintaining excellent relationships with customers and prospective customers.
- Designing, developing and overseeing the system architecture.
- Providing architectural leadership in response to ECP’s and budgetary estimate requests.
- Ensuring conversion of mission requirements into total systems solutions that account for design and technology maturity constraints of the system.
- Translating functional needs of customers to requirements and allocating those requirements to Hardware, Software, and COTS system components.
- Developing system element architecture, design, and interface definition. Supporting internal and external design reviews.
- Developing and maintaining models and architectural guidelines for current and future system development (5-year program architectural road map).
- Maintaining knowledge of current and developing technologies and design and analysis, methodologies, and ensure program road map is utilizing new technologies as appropriate.
- Maintaining knowledge of customer capabilities and future goals and ensuring the program architectural road map is consistent with the customer vision.
Specific Technical Knowledge/Skills/Abilities Desired
- Military/Naval experience is required in multiple areas.
- Working knowledge and experience using at least one industry standard system architecture tool suite (MagicDraw/Cameo, Enterprise Architect, STK, System, Architect, or equivalent)
- Unmanned surface and undersea systems, network and assured communications, sonar systems (active and passive) maritime power and controls, integrated platform management and battle damage system.
- Weapons development with emphasis on seekers and terminal guidance
- Multi-mode threat detection sensors (including buried/concealed/subsonic/surface threats)
- Platform integration and test
- Hardware/software development experience from requirements through customer testing
- Working knowledge of modern simulation-based methods as a key part of the product development process
- Analytical and technical expertise is desired in one or more of the following: sensor performance, image and signal processing, autonomy and machine learning, guidance and control or target phenomenology exploitation, surface navy combat systems, high performance computing/parallel processing
- Generation/presentation of persuasive technical narratives
- Program/project management
- Proposal identification, prioritization, pursuit and generation
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in the development of advanced sensors and/or systems for military applications, preferably maritime/naval domains
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in an engineering role on advanced sensor / combat systems / integrated systems development programs, with progressive advancement in responsibilities leading to program management and/or technical leadership roles
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience supporting/leading business development pursuits with a successful track record in capturing funds and meeting targets
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering (Master’s degree desired in engineering, technology management or business management)
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional teams in advanced technology development and business development pursuits
- Demonstrated ability to create innovative solutions with clear competitive advantages to complex problems
- Excellent written and oral communication/presentation skills; able to present complex technology concepts in a clear and effective manner
- Must possess the following additional skills: organization and planning, problem analysis and problem-solving, team-leadership, formal presentation, persuasiveness, adaptability, innovation, judgment, decision-making, stress tolerance, collaboration, self-motivation
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain and maintain, a secret security clearance
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.