Senior Specialist, Mechanical Engineering - Electronics Packaging
Fort Wayne, IndianaJob ID SAS20213003-58922
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Senior Specialist, Mechanical Engineering - Electronics Packaging
Job Code: SAS20213003-58922
Job Location: Fort Wayne, IN
As a member of the Mechanical Engineering team, the candidate will be responsible for the design, layout, testing and evaluation of mechanical and electro-mechanical devices or systems as well as support existing products and cost reduction initiatives. In addition, the candidate may be responsible to lead and mentor entry level individuals and teams across these various initiatives. Technical skills will be applied to develop robust electronic packaging solutions for use in space environments. In this dynamic and fast-paced environment, the candidate will be exposed to all aspects of the product development cycle which include but are not limited to; concept design, prototype/discovery testing, supply chain and manufacturing activities. Products are typically designed and tested to NASA environmental standards. Therefore, experience and/or exposure in designing products for space applications is preferred but not required. Candidate shall have strong communication and interpersonal skills coupled with a passion for solving complex problems through innovation. Working with peers and cross-functional team members, the candidate will help provide world-class products to our customers through quality performance in the essential functions that follow.
- Provide mechanical engineering support for both new product development activities as well as factory support of existing products
- Lead teams of Engineers and Designers in the mechanical development of products or resolution of mechanical issues.
- Translate product requirements into a mechanical specification and test plan to be used for development
- Execute verification testing as defined by the mechanical specification and test plan
- Conduct design analysis and testing, both structural and thermal, to prove design will meet customer requirements
- Generate and/or process engineering change orders (ECO’s) as required
- Work directly with mechanical designers on CAD models and part documentation
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum 6 years of prior relevant experience. Graduate Degree and a minimum of 4 years of prior related experience.
- 6+ years experience working as a mechanical engineer in the area of electronics packaging
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Experience in the use of 3D CAD (preferably PTC Creo)
- Leadership experience in design and development of electronic equipment
- Eligible to obtain a US Government Secret Security Clearance if required
- Strong communication skills and enjoys working with other people, developing relationships and sharing knowledge
- Space electronics packaging experience
- Experience in performing tolerance stack-up analysis
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.