Lead, System Safety Engineer - Fort Wayne, IN
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000 employees and customers in more than 130 countries. L3Harris.com
Job Title: Lead, System Safety Engineer
Job Code: SAS20202906-47167
Job Location: Ft Wayne, IN
L3Harris is seeking an experienced system safety engineer who will be responsible for identifying and resolving issues that would impact system safety. The system safety engineer partners with design, systems, quality, manufacturing, test, and specialty engineering teams, and manufacturing and assembly departments. This position requires the preparation of program specific system safety plans; hazard analyses, FMEA’s, product safety analyses, and may involve range safety data pack analyses. Also works with ESH team when issues are identified that would impact the safety of personnel and facilities or have a negative environmental impact. This position also requires a high degree of flexibility in work schedule and will require some travel.
- Proactively drives system safety initiatives, and leads implementation of, and compliance with program specific system safety plans, and system safety best practices
- Drives implementation of common system safety practices across all of SI2
- Preparation of program specific system safety program plan for complex, electro-optical systems
- Performs and documents system, subsystem, operating and support hazard analyses
- Participates in design reviews for both product and support equipment to address system safety issues
- Review/approve manufacturing instructions, test plans and test procedures to ensure safety of product, support equipment, manufacturing and test personnel, facilities, the environment, and the product end users
- Drives SI2 system safety processes and requirements with contractors to ensure compliance with system safety requirements flow down
- Function as SI2 point-of-contact with customers for all program specific system safety issues
- Monitors critical hardware moves and lifts, and critical assembly and test operations on the factory floor. This often requires extended periods of time standing and walking in the manufacturing and integration areas of the facility
- Proactively supports new contract proposal teams to interpret system safety requirements and provide estimate of man-hours, travel, etc. for inclusion in proposal/bid documentation
- Strong communications skill both verbal and written is required. Demonstrated leadership skills and a proven track record in accomplishing the necessary
- Bachelor's degree in ME, EE, IE, Safety Engineering with a 4+ years of prior relevant experience, or 2 years post-Secondary/ Associates Degree and a minimum of 8 years of prior related experience, or Graduate Degree and a minimum of 2 years of prior related experience
- Failure modes and effects analysis experience
- Fault tree analysis and Hazard analysis preparation experience
- Basic understanding of electronics, optics, and digital image capture and processing techniques
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Existing TS/TCI Clearance
- Previous system safety engineering experience
- Working experience with MIL-STD-882, AFSCMAN 91-710, and NASA NPR 8715.XX
- Product safety, domestic and international (REACH, RoHS, etc)
- 3-5 years’ experience in the aerospace industry
- Military experience
- ISO 9001
- Working Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Familiar with ITAR Policy and procedures
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.