Fraud Awareness Message
Fraudsters have been known to attempt to use our name to trick job seekers with fake employment opportunities. This type of scam is normally carried out through fake websites, job postings, chat applications, or email accounts claiming to be from L3Harris. To help spot these scams, remember that during our formal recruitment process, L3Harris will NOT (1) ask you for money; (2) offer to send you a check before doing any work; (3) require you to provide sensitive personal information early in the process or sensitive information about your previous employer; (4) send you emails from free commercial services (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail).
If you have been contacted by anyone representing themselves as being from L3Harris and are concerned about their legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at staffing@L3Harris.com .
If you believe you have been scammed, contact local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission here. L3Harris has no responsibility for fraudulent job offers and advises candidates to follow the guidance provided above.
Supplier Quality Engineer
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
9/80 work schedule available for most U.S. and Canada employees, effective October 24, 2022.
Supplier Quality Engineering Specialist
L3HARRIS WESCAM Division
Don Mills, Ontario
About the Role
This role of a supplier quality engineering specialist (SQE) plays a central role in developing new suppliers, assessing supplier quality and ensures that products received are free of defects. The SQE is the liaison between our supply chain management team and suppliers to investigate, analyze and resolve supplier quality issues by conducting audits, analyzing trend defects and leading continuous improvement projects in an effort to increase the supplier capability of consistently meeting Wescam’s requirements.
- Supplier Development and/or sourcing
- Understanding the requirements, work with Engineering and the Buyer to assess the technical capability and roadmap of the supplier
- Perform supplier audits for risk and capabilities
- Determine and assign capable supplier(s) to items
- Specifications/document/product compliance and alignment
- Ensure there is a specifications matrix
- Align product verification/test between supplier and the internal factory
- As it relates to manufacturing and test, make sure that design to cost is met
- Ensure product compliance to specification by ensuring relevant verification has occurred (life testing, qualification acceptance)
- Look for and analyze trends for issues
- Analyze SINs (Supplier Initiated Non Conformances) & NCRs (Non Conformances) to ensure that trends are identified and resolved
- Ensure link to the shop floor, supply chain, CSG (Customer Service Group) and EFFA (Early Field Failure Analysis)
- Drive (RCCA) Root Cause Corrective Actions from technical SCARs (supplier Corrective Action Review) and NCRs
- Report trends at applicable reviews
- Create project plans to close out issues
- Own and perform or guide FAI (First Article Inspection) and part inspections at source and at incoming
- Participate in the Quality Alert & containment process
- Responsible for defining material handling requirements from the supply chain to storage at Wescam
- Actively participate in all technical reviews, internal and external
- Ensure specification compliance, manufacturability, testability, and cost
- Perform supplier assessments at the source
- Ensure the suppliers build & test processes are robust and repeatable with no variability
- Ensure that the product can be produced in the most economic, efficient and effective way
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Strong statistical analysis skills and ability to analyze supplier or vendor data along with internal metrics.
- Highly technical mindset and thorough knowledge of technical elements of manufacturing and engineering with the ability to identify process variability, as well as making informed judgement and recommendation within the supply chain.
- Quality assurance skills with the ability to inspect product and manufacturing environments to identify potential issues.
- Ability to lead the creation, execution and reporting of projects to improve supplier quality, acting as a liaison between the company and the supply chain.
- Excellent technical communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Dynamic, resourceful and known for sense of initiative (leadership, innovative, problem solver)
Desired Education and Experiences
- University degree in Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Physics
- Minimum 5-10 years of experience in a Supplier Quality Engineering capacity
- Extensive experience with high precision manufacturing, test and assembly processes at micron tolerances, such as 5-axis CNC, precision machining and stress relief of aluminum, steel and brass, OR proven ability to rapidly acquire a high level of competence in new technical areas
- Lead 8D root cause, project or quality improvement plans, APQP, PPAP
- Green Belt Certification or equivalent industry lean experience an asset, but not required
- ASQ CQE or CSQP an asset
- P.Eng. designation an asset, but not required
- ASME Y14.5 – 2009 (or newer) knowledge and practice
- ISO/AS9100D (or newer) knowledge and practice an asset, but not required
About L3Harris Technologies
In July 2019 – L3 Technologies and Harris Corp merged to become L3Harris Technologies, becoming an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains.
Our customers perform on the world’s most challenging front lines. They trust us to keep them prepared for what’s next. We combine speed, innovation and flawless execution to give people confidence and security in the world ahead.
As we relentlessly pursue new ideas, we know that everything we bring to market must deliver, without fail, every time. The urgency of our quest is matched by our commitment to the people we serve. In a world of ever accelerating change, threat environments move fast. We move forward faster, delivering industry-leading value.
Organized into four segments – Integrated Mission Systems, Communications Systems, Space & Airborne Systems and Aviation Systems – L3Harris Technologies employs over 50,000 people worldwide in over 130 countries with annual revenues approximately $17 billion.
To learn more, visit https://www.l3harris.com/capabilities
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that diversity among our employees makes us a stronger organization.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion within our L3Harris WESCAM family, and our community by welcoming and encouraging applications from anyone interested without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran's status, Aboriginal status or any other legally-protected groups. For people with disabilities, we work with you throughout the recruitment process to ensure you have what you need in order to be at your best. If you require any accommodation for any part of the recruitment/interview process, or as you begin your career with us just let us know and we will take care of you.
This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties as necessary.