Supplier Quality Engineer
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
About L3Harris Technologies
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000 employees and customers in more than 130 countries. L3Harris.com
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customer's mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
This role of a supplier quality engineer (SQE) is a supply chain professional that plays a central role in developing new suppliers, assessing supplier quality and ensures that products received are free of defects. The SQE is the liaison between our supply chain management team and suppliers to investigate, analyze and resolve supplier quality issues by conducting audits, analyzing trend defects and leading continuous improvement projects in an effort to increase the supplier capability of consistently meeting Wescam’s requirements.
- Supplier Development and/or sourcing
- Understanding the requirements, work with Engineering and the Buyer to assess the technical capability and roadmap of the supplier
- Perform supplier audits for risk and capabilities
- Determine and assign capable supplier(s) to items
- Specifications/document/product compliance and alignment
- Ensure there is a specifications matrix
- Align product verification/test between supplier and the internal factory
- As it relates to manufacturing and test, make sure that design to cost is met
- Ensure product compliance to specification by ensuring relevant verification has occurred (life testing, qualification acceptance)
- Look for and analyze trends for issues
- Analyze SINs (Supplier Initiated Non Conformances) & NCRs (Non Conformances) to ensure that trends are identified and resolved
- Ensure link to the shop floor, supply chain, CSG (Customer Service Group) and EFFA (Early Field Failure Analysis)
- Drive (RCCA) Root Cause Corrective Actions from technical SCARs (supplier Corrective Action Review) and NCRs
- Report trends at applicable reviews
- Create project plans to close out issues
- Own and perform or guide FAI (First Article Inspection) and part inspections at source and at incoming
- Participate in the Quality Alert & containment process
- Responsible for defining material handling requirements from the supply chain to storage at Wescam
- Actively participate in all technical reviews, internal and external
- Ensure specification compliance, manufacturability, testability, and cost
- Perform supplier assessments at the source
- Ensure the suppliers build & test processes are robust and repeatable with no variability
- Ensure that the product can be produced in the most economic, efficient and effective way
- Utilize techniques such as PFMEA
- Continuous improvement mindset
- University degree in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Physics, or Physics
- Minimum 5-10 years of experience in a Supplier Quality Engineering capacity
- Ideally, experience in the fabrication of precision optics, transmissive and reflective
- Extensive experience with high precision manufacturing, test and assembly processes at micron tolerances, such as 5-axis CNC, MRF, diamond turning, lens grinding and polishing, interferometry, optical alignment, precision machining and stress relief of aluminum, steel and brass, OR proven ability to rapidly acquire a high level of competence in new technical areas
- Knowledge of precision optics materials such as Optical grade glasses, Si, Ge, ZnSe and ZnS an asset
- 8D root cause, project or quality improvement plans, APQP, PPAP
- Green Belt Certification or equivalent industry lean experience an asset, but not required
- ASQ CQE or CSQP an asset
- P.Eng. designation an asset, but not required
- ASME Y14.5 – 2009 (or newer) knowledge and practice
- ISO/AS9100D (or newer) knowledge and practice an asset, but not required
Preferred Additional Skills
- Strong statistical analysis skills and ability to analyze supplier or vendor data along with internal metrics.
- Highly technical mindset and thorough knowledge of technical elements of manufacturing and engineering with the ability to spot process variability, as well as making informed judgement and recommendation within the supply chain.
- Quality assurance skills with the ability to inspect product and manufacturing environments to identify potential issues.
- Ability to lead the creation, execution and reporting of projects to improve supplier quality, acting as a liaison between the company and the supply chain.
- Excellent technical communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Dynamic, resourceful and known for sense of initiative (leadership, innovative, problem solver)
A subsidiary of L3Harris Technologies – WESCAM develops the most advanced optical systems for global defense and military sectors, Homeland Security, Search and Rescue and Airborne law enforcement agencies worldwide. From long- range covert surveillance and targeting missions to search and rescue operations, our MX-series systems, and the mission systems solutions they are a part of, allow our customers to see first and act first.
Engineered with advanced EO/IR technology and over 40 years of superior gyro-stabilization experience, WESCAM’s MX™-Series has been proven in-theater, and controlled the battle space from every altitude. With thousands of systems fielded worldwide, L3 Harris WESCAM’s systems can be found on over 200 different types of platforms, including fixed-wing, rotary-wing, UAV and aerostat airborne platforms, numerous surface vehicles and marine-based platforms.
L3Harris WESCAM is proud to have been named a 2020 Top Employer in Hamilton-Niagara as well as one of Canada’s best Employers for Recent Graduates. Find out more at: https://reviews.canadastop100.com/top-employer-l3-wescam
Our work environment is both challenging and dynamic – our physical environment is state of the art. Here’s what you can expect as an L3Harris WESCAM employee
- Every other Friday off (paid – with our rare 9/80 work schedule)
- Free on-site gym
- Free wellness programs
- Free fruit, bagels and coffee
- Subsidized cafeterias
- Beach Volleyball courts
- 26 acres of forested land with hiking and biking trails in the heart of Burlington
- Sports and extra-curricular teams and activities
- Employee events such as Rib Fest and Golf Tournament
- Work/Life balance that is supported
- Real opportunities for growth and development
- A diverse and inclusive working culture
- Everyone’s role at L3HARRIS WESCAM contributes to saving people’s lives
We believe that diversity among our employees makes us a stronger organization.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion within our L3Harris WESCAM family, and our community by welcoming and encouraging applications from anyone interested without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran's status, Aboriginal status or any other legally-protected groups. For people with disabilities, we work with you throughout the recruitment process to ensure you have what you need in order to be at your best. If you require any accommodation for any part of the recruitment/interview process, or as you begin you career with us just let us know and we will take care of you.
This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties as necessary.