RF Simulation Engineer
Dayton, OhioJob ID SAS20211803-58291
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job TItle: HITL Test Engineer (Field Engineering)
Job Location: Dayton Ohio
Job ID: SAS20211803-58291
The Senior Specialist Field Engineer is responsible for performing Radio Frequency (RF) hardware-in-the-loop (HITL) electronic warfare (EW) simulations at the Air Force Research Lab’s (AFRL) Integrated Demonstrations and Applications Laboratory (IDAL) on Wright Patterson Air Force Base. He or she will collaborate with members of a high-performance integrated product team (IPT) to determine simulation and hardware requirements to best demonstrate new EW technologies and systems to aid in the Air Force acquisition process.
In this role, the position will be responsible for maintaining and operating an integrated suite of custom and commercial RF open and closed-loop EW simulators. This position involves direct collaboration with both the customer and the customer’s vendor teams to define demonstration requirements and capabilities in order to adequately characterize new EW technologies. The position is responsible for analyzing these requirements to develop and maintain digital models of EW sensor systems. Strong organizational skills and analytic skills are required to meet these needs.
Simulator Operation and Maintenance
- Operate HITL commercial and custom EW simulators
- Ensure correct models, calibration, and other parameters are selected
- Use electronic test equipment such as spectrum analyzers and oscilloscopes to verify and analyze operation of simulation equipment and system-under-test (SUT) performance
- Directly interface with customers and SUT vendor teams.
- Maintain HITL simulators
- Perform routine characterization and calibration of new and existing simulators
- Identify hardware and software failures
- Perform routine hardware maintenance
Digital EW Modeling
- Collaborate with subject matter experts to identify modeling and simulation (M&S) requirements
- Develop and maintain digital models of Electronic Warfare sensor systems.
- Analyze intelligence community products such as the Electronic Warfare Integrated Reprogramming Database (EWIRDB) and Combined Emitter Database (CED)
- Collaborate with subject matter experts
- Enter models into commercial and custom simulation development software
- Analyze data from field and flight tests to validate models and simulations
- Bachelor’s degree and 6 years of relevant experience or master’s degree and 4 years’ experience is required providing relevant support to DoD customers.
- Ability to travel to customer and L3H locations in performance of position duties. Anticipated travel is less than 15%.
- Active DoD Secret or higher clearance; ability to obtain and maintain Top Secret with SCI eligibility.
- Proven ability to understand RF systems and testing methods.
- Proven understanding of RADAR theory and Electronic Warfare concepts.
Preferred Additional Skills
- Experience with commercial EW simulator systems such as CEESIM, A2PATS, or UXGs.
- Experience using intelligence products such as the EWIRDB or the Combined Emitter Database (CED)
- Experience performing laboratory or field testing and hardware development
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.