Specialist Orbital Analyst (active TS/SCI)
Dahlgren, VirginiaJob ID SAS20211404-59752
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working with the L3Harris's engineering team, you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Systems Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
Flexible work schedule, paid overtime, cool technology, no micromanagement, nice campus, fun co-workersSystems Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Specialist Orbital Analyst - Modeling & Simulation (active TS/SCI)
Job Code: SAS20211404-59752
Job Location: Dahlgren Naval Base, VA
L3Harris Technologies currently has an opening for an Orbital/Operations Analyst in Northern Virginia. The Analyst will be member of a dynamic team supporting cutting edge systems for the space industry and will support satellite space situational awareness (SSA) activities, primarily as an Orbital/Operations Analyst as part of National Security program at the Dahlgren Naval base. The Analyst will operate orbit determination and satellite characterization systems utilizing data from a variety of phenomenology’s (radar, passive RF, optical). Analytical prediction requires use of analytical tools, such as Freeflyer, STK, and MATLAB to calculate orbit trajectories, maneuvers, and to establish design reference missions.
- Responsible for algorithm development, quantitative analysis, orbit determination, decision analysis, capability analysis, system engineering requirements analysis and trade studies, analyses of alternatives, design of experiments, and architecture analysis.
- Support programs by creating models, simulations, and analysis tools to support national security space analysis activities. Perform technical planning, system integration, verification and validation, evaluations alternatives including cost and risk, supportability and analyses for total systems Analyses are performed at all levels of total system product to include concept, design, and operations.
- The candidate will work with software development teams to implement and validate models, ultimately resulting in user capabilities.
- Develop new algorithms and processes, enhance current tool capabilities, and perform analyses.
- Interaction with customers and provides input to project managers on programmatic and technical deliverables under guidance of senior technical personnel.
- May act as a technical lead for limited aspects of a project.
- Performs additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- 3+ years of experience in Spacecraft Systems engineering or 3+ years of Spacecraft Operations experience.
- Experience in requirements development and management, space vehicle design and operations, payloads, and mission operations.
- Experience evaluating and implementing new and state-of-the-art technology to address challenging customer problems
- B.S. degree in Systems Engineering, Information Systems, Engineering Science, Computer Science, or related discipline.
- Active TS/SCI security clearance.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Experience in supporting modeling, simulation, and analysis of national security space related problems desired
- Experience with both Waterfall and Agile approaches to Systems Engineering
- Experience working with software development teams and associated Agile
- development processes.
- Familiar with Java or similar object-oriented languages enabling one to read
- And follow the logic of the code written.
- Experience working with JSON and XML files often used for data exchange and
- API definitions.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite programs, MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Effective organization level communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Software: STK/Astrogator, Astrodynamics Standards, SOAP, Pro Engineer
- Experience with MATLAB, Python, Java, Parallel Computing, UNIX/Linux
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.