Fraud Awareness Message
Fraudsters have been known to attempt to use our name to trick job seekers with fake employment opportunities. This type of scam is normally carried out through fake websites, job postings, chat applications, or email accounts claiming to be from L3Harris. To help spot these scams, remember that during our formal recruitment process, L3Harris will NOT (1) ask you for money; (2) offer to send you a check before doing any work; (3) require you to provide sensitive personal information early in the process or sensitive information about your previous employer; (4) send you emails from free commercial services (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail).
If you have been contacted by anyone representing themselves as being from L3Harris and are concerned about their legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at staffing@L3Harris.com .
If you believe you have been scammed, contact local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission here. L3Harris has no responsibility for fraudulent job offers and advises candidates to follow the guidance provided above.
Senior Mechanical Design
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Senior Mechanical Design – Hardware Engineering
Job Location: Crawley UK
Job Code: AS20212710-71678
About the role: Senior Mechanical Design within the Hardware Team
- Reporting into the Hardware Engineering Management team you will be part of a team responsible for designing new products and supporting existing product range of Aircraft Simulators.
- You will be working on a range of products including our full flight simulators, flight training devices and updates to existing customer simulators and training devices. There are many opportunities to work on and lead new product developments.
- Technically the role requires a dynamic and flexible engineer, able to develop designs within challenging timescales and budgets, whilst working with suppliers and customers, having a broad understanding of various manufacturing process including assembly and integration techniques.
- The role requires a proactive individual able work effectively with both internal and external stakeholders, an ability to quickly grasp complex engineering issues and subsequently provide solutions that meet both the customer and business demands.
- Communicate at all levels, be part of the hardware leadership team with the ability to lead team members and present engineering solutions that meet budget and schedule demands in a clear open manner.
- Good commercial awareness with the drive and ability to deliver on time.
- Work well within and team and on own initiative, whilst being able to assist with the development of other team members.
- You will be expected to manage and control certain aspects/designs of our products including baselines and roadmaps.
Day to day responsibilities will include (but not limited to):
- Working with customers and internal stakeholders to support our products and drive continuous improvement and drive down the cost of non-quality.
- Strong team player, able to coach, mentor and delegate.
- Working from specifications (Both internal and customer lead) you will develop both novel and modify existing designs in a timely, accurate, budget-compliant and complete manner, taking account of applicable standards, local and company processes.
- Carry out engineering tasks without supervision and able complete in a timely, accurate, budget-compliant and complete manner, taking account of applicable standards, local and company processes.
- Generate innovative solutions to deal with opportunities and problems.
- Working on various bids (internal and external) to support the business objectives.
- Experience of modern software packages (e.g. Computer Aided Design tools), PTC Creo experience would be advantageous.
- You may be expected to complete mechanical analysis activities by both hand calculations and FEM.
- Effectively manages own time to ensure that work is completed efficiently, taking responsibility for own actions and decisions.
- Proactively drive continuous improvements into the department and the drive the cost of non-quality down by both process and product improvements.
- Must be able to flexibly switch between multiple tasks at short notice according to immediate priorities (as directed).
- Contribute to the design, development, manufacture, construction, commissioning, operation or maintenance of products, equipment, processes, systems or services.
- Develop, drive and provide regular status updates.
- Seek to expand knowledge and experience beyond immediate discipline as opportunities arise.
- Lead both outsource engineering & supplier activities as required during deployments
- Mentoring and development of junior staff
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
- Degree qualified or equivalent, or several years of directly relevant experience.
- Chartered engineer or working towards chartership.
- Motivated to achieve professional accreditation following suitable training and experiece
- At least 10 years relevant experience in Automotive, Aerospace, Simulation or equivalent industry with a proven track record of on time delivery.
- Familiarity and appreciation for Structural Analysis (Hand Calcs & FEM).
- Good understanding of design for manufacturing knowledge such as fabrication, machining, assembly and installation techniques.
- Working knowledge of CAD (preferably PTC Creo) and FEM.
- Strong attention to detail and motivation to minimise error, change and rework and strive to achieve continuous improvements.
- Strong communication skills, both spoken and written.
- An understanding of MRP systems (e.g. SAP, Oracle).
Note: This Job Description is not intended to be all inclusive. It is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job title. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the role. The employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws