Manager, Software Engrg
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Manager, Software Engineering
Job Location: Columbia, MD
Job Code: CS20212903-58789
The L3Harris Communication Systems (CS) segment Tactical Communications sector (TCOM) is seeking a highly motivated, team oriented engineering manager well versed in the design and government certification of complex systems to join a high technology engineering organization that designs leading edge communications products. This individual will work in a team environment to manage the development of systems that require the design, implementation, and integration of embedded general purpose processor, cryptographic, and/or DSP software solutions for radio and/or other communications products. This Engineering Manager will help develop creative solutions for our customer's problems. Challenges include short development schedules, resource constraints, and evolving system and security requirements.
As a technical and team leader of the staff, the successful candidate will demonstrate initiative in the efficient development of complex systems throughout the product lifecycle. Additionally this person will be comfortable working in geographically distributed development teams. The successful candidate will be expected to possess a thorough understanding of technical challenges including both the development methods as well as enforcing organizational behaviors to ensure quality. Experience with embedded C++/C, Agile Scrum, and DevOps-based software development is expected. Experience working in collaborative software design/development/test teams ranging in size from 3 to 30 engineers is desired. Experience with government certification of engineering designs is also desired.
The responsibilities and duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Management of the development of communications systems.
- Management of the entire product development cycle in an Agile Scrum environment including system/software requirements analysis, high level and detailed design, implementation, testing, integration, documentation, and government certification of embedded software designs.
- Detailed understanding and knowledge of best practices for design processes, software design, code development processes, release processes for simultaneous release of multiple devices.
- Functional and project management of a small development group for the development of high assurance communications products in the tactical military radio and networking application domains.
- Manage staffing allocations against defined engineering resource demands.
- Project and program planning, including cost, schedule, and resource estimates.
- Effective interpersonal skills, ability to convey technical and business matters in a clear and logical manner.
- Ability to manage and make trade-offs between product recurring cost, budget, schedule and technical solution.
- Organization development to ensure engineering skill sets and resource capacity to meet organization demands.
- Work with product design, test, manufacturing, logistics engineering teams, product and program management and other groups, and external customers as needed to define and execute radio product development projects and deliver high-quality radio products.
- Ensure the conversion of customer requirements, including informal requirements, into total systems solutions that balance the technical, schedule and cost constraints of the program.
- BS degree in Engineering discipline with a minimum 9 years of relevant experience developing and/or managing software engineering solutions (7 years with MS degree).
- Experience with all phases of the software project development life cycle, including software analysis, design, development, testing (including software unit testing), and automation tools.
This position requires the candidate to either already possess or be able to obtain a DOD Secret security clearance, and to maintain the clearance. In order to obtain a clearance, you need to be a US Citizen and show proof of citizenship.
• US citizenship is required.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Mentoring and directing the activities of small groups of engineers.
- Managing activities in disparate geographic locations.
- Experience/knowledge of Capability Maturity Model (CMM)/Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) systems and software development processes or other defined SW development process.
- Certified ScrumMaster®
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMP)®
- Experience with Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS).
- Experience contributing to the development of software architectures.
- Experience with UML and OOA/OOD software development methodology.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Radio communications or networking experience.
- Cryptographic experience.
- Highly motivated, a self starter, and able to operate with little supervision in diverse environments.
- Successful track record in planning, executing, and tracking personal and team’s task assignments.
- Demonstrated ability and experience leading small product development engineering teams and mentoring other engineers.
- Experience in agile software development methodologies using an iterative, time-boxed development process (SCRUM).
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.