Lead, Electrical Engineer - Hardware
Columbia, MarylandJob ID SAS20210202-55957
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Lead, Electrical Engineer - Hardware
Job Code: SAS20210202-55957
Job Location: Columbia, MD
L3Harris is seeking a self-motivated Electrical Hardware engineer to join our embedded systems development team to deliver mission critical solutions for a variety of customers at our Columbia, MD location. This position will focus primarily on the development of custom digital/microcontroller/analog circuit designs supporting custom antenna integration into embedded wireless systems.
- Thorough understanding of digital Circuit Card Assembly (CCA) design process including requirements generation, preliminary design, peer reviews, detailed design, test plan generation, and integration and test.
- Understand the requirements and architect a CCA solution against those requirements.
- Designs activity would primarily be digital, but some analog experience is beneficial.
- Simulate key circuit sub-sections to verify performance, then integrate and test the CCA into the higher-level assembly.
- Lead a small team of designers in generating the CCA design solutions.
- Perform schematic capture and printed circuit board design work using ECAD tools such as Altium Designer, Mentor Graphics, Cadence or similar.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering with a minimum of 9 years of experience in electrical engineering.
- Experience with digital Circuit Card Assembly (CCA) design process.
- Experience with requirements generation, preliminary design, peer reviews, detailed design, test plan generation, and integration and test.
- Experience with a variety of microcontrollers such as Microchip PIC and ARM Cortex M3 and M4.
- Experience with microcontroller interface busses such as I2C, SPI and ASYNC serial.
- Experience with a variety of technologies including switching and linear power supplies, CPLD, FPGA, ADC, DAC, volatile/nonvolatile memory devices.
- Experience with power supply and digital hardware design in support of embedded systems.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Familiarity with analog components such as op-amps, comparators.
- Experience with common lab test equipment such as oscilloscopes, power supplies, DVMs, function generators and logic analyzers.
- Experience with battery operated lower power system design.
- Familiarity with VHDL, the FPGA design process and the tools used to generate the FPGA designs.
- Experience with high speed memory and network interfaces and protocols is desired.
- Ability to work in a team environment and negotiate solutions with Hardware / Software Engineering and Systems Engineering is preferred.
- Proficiency with Xilinx and Intel (Altera) Tool Suites (VHDL, Synthesis, Place and Route, Simulation, Timing Analysis), is desired.
- Familiarity with RF measurement tools such as network analyzers, spectrum analyzers and power meters.
- Active Security Clearance at the Secret level.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.