Fraud Awareness Message
Fraudsters have been known to attempt to use our name to trick job seekers with fake employment opportunities. This type of scam is normally carried out through fake websites, job postings, chat applications, or email accounts claiming to be from L3Harris. To help spot these scams, remember that during our formal recruitment process, L3Harris will NOT (1) ask you for money; (2) offer to send you a check before doing any work; (3) require you to provide sensitive personal information early in the process or sensitive information about your previous employer; (4) send you emails from free commercial services (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail).
If you have been contacted by anyone representing themselves as being from L3Harris and are concerned about their legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at staffing@L3Harris.com .
If you believe you have been scammed, contact local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission here. L3Harris has no responsibility for fraudulent job offers and advises candidates to follow the guidance provided above.
Columbia - Lead, Mechanical Engineer (TS/SCI)
Columbia, MarylandJob ID SAS20213011-73430
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Lead, Mechanical Engineer
Job Code: SAS20213011-73430
Job Location: Columbia, MD
Job Description: Mechanical Engineer who enjoys working in a highly talented integrated product development team towards the common goal of new technology creation and production of custom electronic systems for a variety of US Government customers at our Columbia, MD location.
- Collaborate on the hardware packaging aspect of product design from concept through manufacturing. Actively participate in the design and manufacture of hybrid circuits, the mechanical design aspects of printed wiring board, flexible circuit and surface-mount technology boards, tools and fixtures and various high precision machined parts.
- Subject matter expert with comprehensive knowledge of job area and in-depth knowledge of project management. Manages large, complex project initiatives of substantial importance to the organization with minimal oversight or direction. Communicates within and outside of the organization to explain and influence changes to practices, processes and approaches. Makes significant improvements in processes, systems, or products. Provides input into new products/processes and implements operational plans that have measurable impact on business or functional results.
- Work is guided by individual annual goals and objectives with minimal oversight or direction. Frequently responsible for providing guidance, coaching and training to other employees across the Company within area of expertise. Frequently responsible for managing large, complex project initiatives of strategic importance to the organization, involving large cross-functional teams
- Communicates within and outside of the organization which include customers or vendors. Works to influence others to accept individual or team’s views or practices and changes to concepts, practices and approaches. Communicates with leadership regarding matters of importance to the functional or business area. May conduct briefings with leaders
- Assists with design of complex and compact electronics packaging.
- Assist with the design if electronics chassis, chassis components, and electro-mechanical systems and components including 3D printing.
- Perform electronic and mechanical fabrication and assembly
- Create solid models utilizing 3D parametric modeling software and create design documentation utilizing GD&T per ASME Y14.5.
- Applies electrical, electronic, and mechanical principles to components and systems, including assembly, analysis, and documentation of results
- Modeling of developmental assemblies, sub-assemblies, and components.
- Works under direction. Collaborates to determine and develop approach to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- 9+ years with Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering or Physics from and accredited college or university. Graduate Degree and a minimum of 7 years of prior related experience
- Clearance TS/SCI
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Solidworks, AutoCAD or Creo Experience
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
- Medical with a High Deductible and traditional PPO plan options, as well as, vision and a full array of supplemental health benefits
- A doctors' service to help with referrals and second opinions for you, your family, and parents
- 4 weeks of paid parental leave for moms and dads
- Fertility treatment
- Subsidized backup childcare and eldercare
- Adoption assistance - $5,000 per adoption/$15,000 per employee
- Pet insurance
- No cap to your PTO time (for exempt employees)
- Dress for your day - wear what works for you at work
- Legal plan for you, your family, and parents
- Discount platform