Technical Writing Specialist
Colorado Springs, ColoradoJob ID SAS20210804-59366
What makes a successful Business and Operations team member at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
My favorite part of working for L3Harris is knowing that the parts that I procure go into products that help save lives.Lizzie, Procurement Associate, Rochester, NY
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Technical Writing Specialist
Job Code: SAS20210804-59366
Job Location: Colorado Springs, CO
L3 Harris Technologies Inc. is seeking an experienced Technical Writer development team in supporting Technical Order development activities on the CCS program under the Combat Mission Systems Support contract.
- Create, develop, plan, write and edit documentation for all phases of Technical Order (TO) development and sustainment in accordance with MIL-STDs, TO 00-5 series and all other AF compliance directives
- Perform research using technical data and engineering specifications (drawings, A-level specifications, test procedures, etc.) or commercial sources to translate data into user documentation
- Work as part of cross-functional team, made up of Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), to accomplish technical writing assignments
- Follow style guides, associated DoD/Mil-Standards for TO production, and TO processes, and understand customer requirements related to writing task assignments
- Coordinate with Trainers and participate in development of Type 1 training packages (lesson plan, student guide, instructor guide, and presentation material) for each TO development task
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum 4 years of prior relevant experience or 2 years post-Secondary/ Associates Degree and a minimum of 6 years of prior technical writing experience. Graduate Degree and a minimum of 2 years of prior related experience.
- Current TS/SCI security clearance
- Must be able to obtain a DoD Common Access Card (CAC)
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Independently interpret and follow written technical instructions and procedures, as well as the ability to work harmoniously in a team environment with government customers and other contractors
- Strong technical background, ability to translate technical and SME information into written procedural content as required for technical writing task assignments
- Strong writing, editing, and proof-reading skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Computer proficiency with MS Office applications, especially Outlook, Word, Visio, and Excel
- Extensive working knowledge with Adobe FrameMaker, Illustrator and PhotoShop
- DoD work experience developing and sustaining TO baselines for AF weapon systems
In compliance with Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the salary range for this role in Colorado is $54,000 - $100,500 (salary ranges in other locations could differ). This is not a guarantee of compensation or salary, as final offer amount may vary based on factors including but not limited to experience and geographic location. L3Harris also offers a variety of benefits including: health and disability insurance, 401(k) match, flexible spending accounts, EAP, education assistance, parental leave, paid time off, and company-paid holidays. The specific programs and options available to an employee may vary depending on date of hire, schedule type, and the applicability of collective bargaining agreements.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.