Sr. Specialist, Radar Systems Engineer
Colorado Springs, Colorado; ColoradoJob ID SAS20210504-59154
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working with the L3Harris's engineering team, you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Systems Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
Flexible work schedule, paid overtime, cool technology, no micromanagement, nice campus, fun co-workersSystems Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Sr. Specialist, Radar Systems Engineer
Job Code: SAS20210504-59154
Job Location: Colorado Springs, CO
As the premier provider of Space Domain Awareness mission solutions for the United States Space Force, L3Harris is pursuing a strategic partnership to develop and deploy the Deep Space Advanced Radar Capability (DARC). DARC represents an exciting opportunity to design the first in a new class of next generation deep space radars to engage threats in the GEO belt while also tracking new foreign space launches. DARC will coherently combine pseudo-monostatic arrays of widely dispersed steerable parabolic antennas. L3Harris is seeking Radar professionals to work in a dynamic environment to solve challenging technical problems. Individuals will perform radar system trade studies producing detailed system requirements. The ideal candidate should have in depth experience with analysis of phased array radar system performance, radar system architectures, and radar system modeling, development, and design. Knowledge of multi-static and phased array radar system architectures and the Space Domain Awareness mission areas are a must.
- Provide in-depth analysis of Multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) radar using an advanced type of phased array radar employing digital receivers and waveform generators distributed across widely dispersed dish antennas in a variety of system scenarios.
- Analysis related to advanced beamforming and sub-arraying concepts.
- Support new concepts for time and frequency distribution development within a widely dispersed radar system.
- Support development of new concepts for calibration techniques for coherent transmit capability across a distributed dish array.
- Support development of new concepts for Radar System models to evaluate performance tradeoffs.
- Support development of new concepts for Radar System architectures and perform requirements analysis and development.
- Perform trade studies and analysis on system architectures and operational concepts in the SDA domains.
- Develop system level performance test and evaluation concept and support data analysis.
- Support development of technical white papers and studies for future concepts and investment areas.
- Work without appreciable direction, exercising considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignment.
- Reverse engineer legacy system algorithms and architectures.
- Participate in proposal Gate and Engineering Review Board reviews during execution of select portfolio projects.
- Prepare and brief technical presentations at informal and formal meetings
- Assess project execution risks and recommend mitigation plans and actions
- Support the review of new missions and requirements as required to support staff and project deliveries
- Provide technical peer review of key deliverables and milestones
- Interact with engineering teams and customer to identify problems, perform failure analysis to root cause, and develop solutions to correct deficiencies
- Support critical operations during standard and non-standard working hours
- Visit customer sites, domestic and international as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Math, Engineering and 6 plus years of relevant professional experience. MS Degree preferred.
- 5+ years of modeling, simulation, and software development experience related to radar sensor systems including one or more of the following areas: continuous or discrete event simulation, signal processing, data processing, mission planning, orbital mechanics, data fusion, detection processing, track algorithm design/analysis, optimization, discrimination and/or target recognition, battle management, command and control, decision support.
- 6 years of Systems Engineering experience and knowledge of Systems Engineering processes
- 6 plus years of DoD Life-Cycle engineering delivery experience
- Acitve Top Secret clearance
- Ability to travel domestic and international
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Working knowledge of Matlab and Simulink.
- Ability to work in team environment
- Familiarity/experience with DoD system development and delivery life-cycle.
- Model Based Systems Engineering and familiarity with DOORS and SysML
- Accomplished presentation skills and the ability to present technical concepts well in front of customer
In compliance with Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the salary range for this role in Colorado is $82,500 - $153,500 (salary ranges in other locations could differ). This is not a guarantee of compensation or salary, as final offer amount may vary based on factors including but not limited to experience and geographic location. L3Harris also offers a variety of benefits including: health and disability insurance, 401(k) match, flexible spending accounts, EAP, education assistance, parental leave, paid time off, and company-paid holidays. The specific programs and options available to an employee may vary depending on date of hire, schedule type, and the applicability of collective bargaining agreements
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.