Model Based Systems Engineer
Cincinnati, Ohio; Centennial, ColoradoJob ID IMS20212202-56935
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working with the L3Harris's engineering team, you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Systems Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
Flexible work schedule, paid overtime, cool technology, no micromanagement, nice campus, fun co-workersSystems Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
L3Harris Space & Sensors Division designs and manufactures complex electro-optical and electro-mechanical systems for the defense, aerospace, and commercial markets. L3Harris is a recognized leader in Electro-Optical technologies that enable systems to support surveillance, reconnaissance, threat detection, and self-protection mission. We are currently seeking a Senior Specialist, Model Based Systems Engineer with specialized engineering experience in electronic, sensor, and/or imaging subsystems. The position involves working in teams to generate technical proposals, perform requirements development, system architecture development, system partitioning, and assessing system performance using analysis, simulation, and laboratory testing. This individual will have the opportunity to work on cutting edge and world-class sensor systems.
- Digital engineer able to develop system models that encompass product architecture, behavior, requirements, and parametrics. Able to use MBSE tools to capture stakeholder and system requirements, facilitate discussion and understanding of system usage, and enhance a culture of model-based designs.
- Five or more years of experience (in-depth knowledge and practical experience) with the Systems Modelling Language (SysML). Includes MBSE implementation and data architecture and integration ranging from conceptual to physical implementations; including Metadata Strategies, Data Modeling, Data Ingest, Storage, and Search & Retrieval.
- Experience with at least two programs that utilized an MBSE approach to accomplish key development milestones such as Systems Requirements Review (SRR), Systems Functional Review (SFR), and Preliminary Design Review (PDR).
- Strong familiarity with Model Based Systems Engineering tools such as CAMEO or similar Systems Modeling tools.
- Collaborate with other Systems Engineers in the development of work products, including: System Specifications, Logically Derived and Linked Requirements, Interface Definitions, System Diagrams, Systems Analyses, Trade Studies, and Detailed Designs.
- Develop and review guidance and training materials related to architecture modeling, tool usage, processes, assumptions, and limitations. Coordinate amongst practitioners to share best practices, establish style guides, and templates.
- Establish and maintain a repository of architectural modeling data for rapid starts on new projects and proposals.
- Bridge architecture models with physics-based performance models and simulations.
- Able to effectively communicate and collaborate system architecture and design with other functions including Software Engineering, Hardware Engineering, Manufacturing, Program Management, Suppliers, and Customers.
- Actively work with peers and specialists on cross-functional teams to solve a wide range of difficult and unique issues to meet shared product milestones.
- B.S. degree in engineering from accredited four-year college or university and a minimum of 6 years of applicable systems engineering experience.
- Experience with model based systems engineering and associated modelling tools.
- Good interpersonal skills, ability to work well within and outside of the organization including customers, vendors, and leadership with minimal oversight.
- Must have the ability to obtain a US Secret Clearance.
Preferred Additional Skills/Experience:
- Prior experience with at least one program being a large scale and complex program (i.e., > 10 System Engineers and/or >$50M).
- Able to provide technical leadership, mentorship, and guidance to a team of system engineers in the areas of systems engineering analysis, architecture modeling, and MBSE.
- Prior experience implementing a transition from static architectural products to a dynamic collection of interconnected, federated MBSE models.
- Able to define the appropriate data standards, data structures, and supporting COTS, GOTS, and Open Source technologies required to manage the data needs.
- Able to consult and facilitate diverse stakeholders in defining and prioritizing opportunities to implement an MBSE approach to realize cost and labor savings and promote efficiency and re-use.
- Graduate degree in engineering.
- Demonstrated proposal-writing capability.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.