Assoc, Mechanical Engrg (New Grad-Cincinnati, OH)
Cincinnati, OhioJob ID 9052
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 50,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Associate, Mechanical Engineering-Drafter/Designer (New Grad- Cincinnati, OH)
Job Code: 9052
Job Location: Cincinnati, OH
Applies mechanical engineering principles to design new and maintain existing L3Harris FOS product lines. This role is responsible for the mechanical design, development, and testing of new products; interacting with a multidisciplinary design team and working within established design guidelines to ensure products meet or exceed customer and industry specifications. In addition to new product development, this role also supports the production of existing products; working with manufacturing and quality to troubleshoot issues, document changes, etc.
- Assist or act as the Lead Mechanical Engineer on various programs ensuring the designs and product performance meet customer and industry specifications with minimal supervision.
- Use CAD to create new product designs and modify existing ones following Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DFMA) principles.
- Review, interpret, and generate engineering drawings defined with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) following ASME Y14.5 practices.
- Perform tolerance analyses.
- Perform analytical calculations using mechanical engineering theories, concepts, and principles.
- Collaborate with engineering analysts to conduct Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to evaluate design performance structurally, thermally, and dynamically.
- Participate in failure investigations, as needed, to identify root cause and implement corrective actions.
- Review, interpret, and generate technical documentation such as engineering changes, statements of work, plans, procedures, test plans, reports, instructions, specifications, and compliance matrices.
- Review, generate and present material for design reviews to customer, government, and internal teams.
- Participate in efforts to drive process improvements which increased efficiency and quality.
- Devise design verification tests to demonstrate compliance with specified performance environments (temperature, vibration, shock, acceleration, impact, etc).
- Support existing production, which includes but is not limited to test fixture and tooling designs, product trouble shooting, documentation and drawing updates, process improvements, and product design improvements.
- Act and communicate effectively with multi-disciplinary teams in a manner that is cooperative and supportive of customers, co-workers and managers.
- Other duties as assigned
- Basic proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) move to essential functions
- Proficient technical writing and presentation skills move to preferred or essential functions
- Ability & willingness to be adaptable and accept feedback as part of our peer review process move to essential functions
- Ability to obtain a DoD Security Clearance
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Aerospace or other related field and a minimum of 2 years of prior related experience. Graduate Degree or equivalent with 0 to 2 years of prior related experience.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Master of Science in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- Experience with DoD and MIL standards/specifications or other highly regulated industries
- Experience with designs with metals, plastics, coatings and adhesives
- Familiar with finite element analysis tools and methods
- Experience using CAD software such as Solid Edge, SolidWorks, NX etc
- Professional experience with GD&T application, tolerance analyses, and generation / interpretation of engineering drawings
- Professional experience with configuration management as it applies to product documentation and control
- Professional experience with manufacturing methods as well as design for manufacturability and assembly
- Professional experience and understanding of physics, engineering mechanics, fatigue, and mechanics of materials
- Working knowledge of thermodynamics and heat transfer
- Working knowledge of dynamics and vibration (time-domain and frequency domain)
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.