Specialist, Field Engineering RADAR
Cape Canaveral, FloridaJob ID 9041
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 50,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
About L3Harris Technologies:
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea, and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
L3Harris Defense Electronic Systems (DES), a division of L3Harris, provides precision electronic components, subsystems, and systems for the DOD and international allies. L3Harris DES specializes in the design and manufacture of fuses, ignition safety devices, proximity sensors, GPS navigation systems, aerospace status indicators, and range and test solutions.
The L3Harris Interstate Electronics Corporation business was founded in 1956 and for over 65 years IEC has played a key role in the most successful defense system of modern history. With sites in Anaheim, CA, Cape Canaveral, FL, and Crystal City, VA, IEC is a recognized industry leader in defense and security solutions, providing critical technology advancements in the areas of GPS/Position Navigation and Timing, and Range and Test Solutions. We offer competitive benefits, an alternative 4/10 work schedule, and the opportunity to work with a talented and diverse group of professionals.
Field Engineering Specialist providing project and technical support for the installation, removal, grooming, operation, maintenance, and modification of complex electronic systems. Systems include RADAR, RF instrumentation, transmitters, receivers, system interfaces, and software operating systems.
Responsible for complex projects and processes within the NAVY Mobile Instrumentation System (NMIS) group, achieving operational metrics for NMIS electronics systems assembly, assessment, testing, and operation in support of the Navy customer. Periodically deploy the NMIS systems on board Naval ships to support operational Navy testing events with positions impacting flight test safety and data collection. Responsible to make short-notice independent assessments and decisions for technical areas of responsibility during critical and time-sensitive operations. Liaison with the Navy for administrative and technical matters for assigned projects.
Assigned tasking requires communication within the NMIS group, as well as coordination with external supporting contractors and Navy customers. Support of electronics systems includes general analysis, problem solving, procedure/process development, and innovations. Requires extended international travel to provide contracted services on a varying schedule, including periods at sea on a Military Sealift Command vessel. Requires supporting various tasking at the home location, to include inventory control, production builds, repairs, systems grooming, on-the-job training, maintaining logbooks, filing reports, and other tasking as assigned. Requires the ability to climb at least 50 feet from the deck of the ship and must be able to lift and carry 40 pounds.
- DOD or DOHD Secret Clearance if desired, ability to travel, working extended hours.
- Travel up to 40% of the time to include international.
- Embark on U.S. Navy support ships at sea to include cohabitation in small living quarters and sharing of facilities.
- Complete climbing training and certification. Work on elevated platforms and climb vertical ladders.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical competency and a minimum 4 years of experience or 2 years post-Secondary (High School)/Associate degree or equivalent formal technical training and a minimum of 8 years of prior related experience. Education and years of experience are not exclusive of other leveling factors, and other relevant education/experience in missile guidance, fire control, target acquisition, or missile tracking radar systems may be considered in place of the above education and experience requirements.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience using RF, analog, and digital test equipment to troubleshoot, test and/or validate complex electronic systems.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience managing assigned complex projects or processes with little oversight Qualifications must be quantifiable and measurable.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Experience with operations and maintenance of RADAR, RF/satellite communications/data recording systems
- Experience with operations and maintenance of military or civilian Tracking, Air Traffic Control, Fire Control and Aviation radars, RF instrumentation and data recording systems
- General analysis, problem solving, and innovation in assigned area of responsibility.
- Experience using signal generators, oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, and frequency counters.
- Guiding, teaching, and coaching other employees in assigned area of responsibility.
- Ability to review, follow, and provide recommended improvements to documented procedures.
- IPC-610/620 and J-STD certifications
- Strong Microsoft Office skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Soft skills (I.E. Proficient in MS Office, Strong communication…)
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.