Fraud Awareness Message
Fraudsters have been known to attempt to use our name to trick job seekers with fake employment opportunities. This type of scam is normally carried out through fake websites, job postings, chat applications, or email accounts claiming to be from L3Harris. To help spot these scams, remember that during our formal recruitment process, L3Harris will NOT (1) ask you for money; (2) offer to send you a check before doing any work; (3) require you to provide sensitive personal information early in the process or sensitive information about your previous employer; (4) send you emails from free commercial services (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail).
If you have been contacted by anyone representing themselves as being from L3Harris and are concerned about their legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at staffing@L3Harris.com .
If you believe you have been scammed, contact local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission here. L3Harris has no responsibility for fraudulent job offers and advises candidates to follow the guidance provided above.
Senior Electrical Designer
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Senior Electrical Designer - NPI
L3HARRIS WESCAM Division
About L3HARRIS WESCAM
As a subsidiary of L3Harris Technologies and within the Integrated Mission Systems Segment, the WESCAM division develops the most advanced optical sensor and targeting systems for global defense and military sectors, National Security, Search & Rescue and Airborne law enforcement agencies. From long-range covert surveillance missions to search and rescue operations, our MX-series systems, and the mission systems solutions they are a part of, produce stabilized high-magnification electro1-optical and infrared images from airborne, marine and ground based platforms, enabling our customers to see first and act first.
About the Role
The development of complex electronic systems using the latest technologies requires top-talent, a well-structured development process, but above all a culture that is open, trusting, helpful and supportive. This is where the electrical engineering department excels!
This particular team within the Electrical Engineering department is primarily focused on New Product Development (NPI) responsible for architecting, designing, developing, modifying, evaluating and integrating electronic equipment, electronic parts, components, or integrated circuitry for complex, high performance hardware systems. It is a diverse team that employs Agile methodology to hardware design incuding 1-month design sprints within a well-structured (but not rigid) environment to support the entire design lifecycle.
This role is a leading position in determining design approaches and parameters. You'll analyze electrical requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints and leverage high level programming language to configure programmable logic devices. Finally, you'll analyze equipment to establish operating data, conduct experimental tests and evaluates results, then select appropriate components and equipment based on analysis of specifications and reliability.
If this is a role where you can see yourself succeeding beyond your current role, and apply your skills in designing fot the entire design lifecycle, join our team at WESCAM and be an integral part of one of the top defense companies in the country.
- Responsibility for the full-cycle design, architecture and development of assigned projects and hardware subsystems using a formal stage-gate process.
- Generation of hardware artifacts including, requirements, schematics, BOMS, PCB design and fabrication documentation.
- Conduct bench validation of hardware subsystem.
- Support product integration and qualification of hardware subsystem.
- Support determining, estimating and managing project tasks.
- Schedule, conduct or actively participate in technical design reviews to ensure design fidelity and integrity is achieved.
- Support the development and maintenance of related engineering design practices, processes and standards.
- Troubleshoot technical problems on production and customer equipment.
- Support part obsolescence and new part selection.
- Provide technical support to other areas of the organization including Manufacturing Engineering, Bids and Proposals, and Marketing related to the assigned project.
- Develop strong relationships with other engineering disciplines to maximize collaboration and synergy in an effort to meet project goals.
- Watch for new technologies that support present and future product development.
- Complete other tasks and projects as assigned by the Manager.
- Track record of being a strong technical contributor across a wide range of technical problems and across multiple developments.
- Understanding of agile design and development methodologies
- Full life-cycle design, implementation and validation of complex electrical subsystems and products.
- Practical knowledge of circuit card/PCB design, wiring harness development and the manufacturing processes.
- Practical analytical skills with a focus on being able to simulate design concepts.
- Skilled at debugging and testing systems.
- Design with modern CAD, simulation and analysis tools (SI Wave, Hyperlinx, PSpice, Matlab preferred).
- Experience with industry standard schematic design and PCB layout tools (ORCAD, Allegro preferred).
- Broad knowledge of electronic components (Xilinx FPGA preferred).
- Knowledge of various military and industry standards related to airborne, marine and ground systems (MIL-STD 704, 461 and 1275 preferred).
- Meet the requirements of the Controlled Goods Registration Program and is eligible for a Canadian government security clearance (NATO Secret).
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Desire for continuous leaning within a fast paced environment.
Desired Education and Experiences
- Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in Electrical Engineering design with progressive experience.
- PEng certificate or the ability to obtain.
About L3Harris Technologies
In July 2019 – L3 Technologies and Harris Corp merged to become L3Harris Technologies, becoming an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains.
Our customers perform on the world’s most challenging front lines. They trust us to keep them prepared for what’s next. We combine speed, innovation and flawless execution to give people confidence and security in the world ahead.
As we relentlessly pursue new ideas, we know that everything we bring to market must deliver, without fail, every time. The urgency of our quest is matched by our commitment to the people we serve. In a world of ever accelerating change, threat environments move fast. We move forward faster, delivering industry-leading value.
Organized into four segments – Integrated Mission Systems, Communications Systems, Space & Airborne Systems and Aviation Systems – L3Harris Technologies employs over 50,000 people worldwide in over 130 countries with annual revenues approximately $17 billion.
To learn more, visit https://www.l3harris.com/capabilities
Our work environment is both challenging and dynamic – our physical environment is state of the art. Here’s what you can expect as an L3Harris WESCAM employee
- Brand new, custom-built 330,000 sq ft Engineering and Production facility atop the Waterdown escarpment in Hamilton
- Close to hiking paths along the Bruce trail
- Every other Friday off (paid – with our rare 9/80 work schedule)
- 18000 sq ft subsidized Café including 12 mini- Café areas throughout the complex
- Free10,000 sq ft on-site gym
- Free wellness programs
- Free fruit, bagels and coffee
- Remote/hybrid work options, hoteling stations providing flexibility and multiple work options
- Wellness rooms – first aid, prayer, mother’s room and quiet zones
- Work/Life balance
- Real opportunities for growth and development
- A diverse and inclusive working culture
- Everyone’s role at L3HARRIS WESCAM contributes to protecting people’s lives
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that diversity among our employees makes us a stronger organization.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion within our L3Harris WESCAM family, and our community by welcoming and encouraging applications from anyone interested without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran's status, Aboriginal status or any other legally-protected groups. For people with disabilities, we work with you throughout the recruitment process to ensure you have what you need in order to be at your best. If you require any accommodation for any part of the recruitment/interview process, or as you begin your career with us just let us know and we will take care of you.
This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties as necessary.