Program Manager- Aerospace & Defense
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
As a division of L3HARRIS, L3HARRIS WESCAM develops the most advanced optical imaging, targeting and tracking systems for global defense and military sectors, National Security, Search and Rescue and Airborne law enforcement agencies worldwide. These systems provide stabilized, high-magnification Electro-optic and Infrared (EO/IR) laser, surveillance and targeting systems for airborne, marine and ground based platforms.
Our 1400 employees will soon be relocating to our new purpose-built, state-of-the-art 350,000 sq ft facility in 2021 between Hamilton and Burlington, where will continue growing to a $1Billion business as a leader in optics and optical systems.
**Please take a few minutes to review what we're looking for before you apply. Once we receive your application, a member of our team will follow up with you if we need more information.
The Program Management team at L3HARRIS WESCAM is responsible for working with our customers around the globe to facilitate the execution of customer contracts and business captures - from contract award to customer hardware delivery and integration - and integrated logistics support and long term support.
Working on a team of 12-15, as a Program Manager, you'll play a key role in orchestrating activities within our division with internal stakeholders in Sales, Bids and Proposals, Export Controls, Contract Management, Demand Management and Engineering to ensure that our customer committments and delivery committments are met. This includes ensuring that program kick-off efforts are well defined, documented and adhered to - and that all contract awards meet their delivery schedules and integration schedules.
- Lead planning and/or implementation of complex customer hardware integration projects.
- Effectively communicate project expectations to project team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion.
- Facilitate the definition of project goals, tasks, and resource requirements; resolve or assist in the resolution of conflicts within and between projects or functional areas; develop methods to monitor project progress; and provide supervision if necessary.
- Manage project budgets.
- Facilitate the definition of service levels and customer requirements.
- Interact regularly with existing or potential clients to determine their needs and to develop plans for delivery. Advocate on behalf of clients and represent clients' needs as appropriate to senior management.
- Work cross-functionally to solve problems and implement changes.
- Follow a defined, agreed upon project management processes.
- Present oral and written reports defining plans, problems, and resolutions to appropriate levels of management.
- Ensures assigned projects are delivered within scope, schedule, budget and quality levels consistent with partner/customer expectations.
- Negotiate project scope changes with customers.
- Manages project close-out activities.
- Identify follow-on or related new project opportunities.
- Understand relationship between project and Company strategic objectives and maximize leveraging activities.
- More specifically:
- Define and document project scope, goals and deliverables in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders.
- Draft and submit budget and recommend subsequent budget changes where necessary.
- Set and continually manage project expectations with customers, team members and other stakeholders.
- Identify and manage project dependencies and critical path.
- Plan and schedule project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools
- Develop and deliver progress reports, proposals, requirements documentation, and presentations
- Perform Risk Management and Mitigation in a pro-active fashion.
- Review and approve all purchase orders, subcontracts as well as changes to the main contract documents.
- Perform lessons learned when required
- Accountable for maintaining the target Gross Margin
- Accountable for project scope, quality in accordance with contractual obligations.
- Accountable for project schedule.
- Accountable for revenue and cash
- Provide mentoring, coaching and direction setting to team members and junior project managers. Ensure direct report training and development
- 25% Travel may be required to support proposal activity and project execution.
- Minimum 5 years of experience with increasing levels of responsibility, including experience successfully managing various projects.
- Outstanding grasp of program management concepts and processes.
- Demonstrated aptitude for effective leadership of staff.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Preferred Additional Skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong project management skills including earn value management.
- Solid understanding of electromechanical systems, optics, aerospace products or similar technologies
- Ability to coordinate activities inter-company and with multiple departments such as Engineering, Operations, Finance, Customer Service, etc.
- Knowledge of contract terms and conditions and sub contract management
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong drive and resilience.
- Action and result oriented.
- Ability to build strong relationships with people at all levels.
- A willingness to see things through to the end.
- A team player who is comfortable working with other professionals.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Willingness to take on project ownership and accountability.
- PMP certification desired
Life at L3HARRIS WESCAM
A subsidiary of L3Harris Technologies – WESCAM develops the most advanced optical systems for global defense and military sectors, Homeland Security, Search and Rescue and Airborne law enforcement agencies worldwide. From long- range covert surveillance and targeting missions to search and rescue operations, our MX-series systems, and the mission systems solutions they are a part of, allow our customers to see first and act first.
Engineered with advanced EO/IR technology and over 40 years of superior gyro-stabilization experience, WESCAM’s MX™-Series has been proven in-theater, and controlled the battle space from every altitude. With thousands of systems fielded worldwide, L3 Harris WESCAM’s systems can be found on over 200 different types of platforms, including fixed-wing, rotary-wing, UAV and aerostat airborne platforms, numerous surface vehicles and marine-based platforms.
L3Harris WESCAM is proud to have been named a 2020 Top Employer in Hamilton-Niagara as well as one of Canada’s best Employers for Recent Graduates. Find out more at: https://reviews.canadastop100.com/top-employer-l3-wescam
Our work environment is both challenging and dynamic – our physical environment is state of the art. Here’s what you can expect as an L3Harris WESCAM employee
- Every other Friday off (paid – with our rare 9/80 work schedule)
- Free on-site gym
- Free wellness programs
- Free fruit, bagels and coffee
- Subsidized cafeterias
- Beach Volleyball courts
- 26 acres of forested land with hiking and biking trails in the heart of Burlington
- Sports and extra-curricular teams and activities
- Employee events such as Rib Fest and Golf Tournament
- Work/Life balance that is supported
- Real opportunities for growth and development
- A diverse and inclusive working culture
- Everyone’s role at L3HARRIS WESCAM contributes to saving people’s lives
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that diversity among our employees makes us a stronger organization.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion within our L3Harris WESCAM family, and our community by welcoming and encouraging applications from anyone interested without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran's status, Aboriginal status or any other legally-protected groups. For people with disabilities, we work with you throughout the recruitment process to ensure you have what you need in order to be at your best. If you require any accommodation for any part of the recruitment/interview process, or as you begin your career with us just let us know and we will take care of you.
This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties as necessary.