L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
- Actively participate in the development of complex Electro-Optical sub-assemblies such as digital imaging systems, thermal imaging systems and laser positioning systems.
- Active member of New Product Introduction (NPI) teams, supporting the development of modern Electro-Optical sub-assemblies from concept to production.
- Verification of proposed design solutions via a combination of analyses and tests.
- Actively support the manufacturing organization to ensure proper knowledge transfer, timely resolution of design issues and effective test methodologies development.
- Support design improvements of established Electro-Optical modules.
- Collaborate closely with other team members from Mechanical, Electrical, Software, Systems Engineering and Operations to ensure high quality of design solutions.
- Generation of related documentation including analyses summary, specification documents, test reports.
- Development and testing of sophisticated image processing algorithms using Matlab.
- Participate in and present results at design review meetings related to new Electro-Optical modules.
- Keep up-to-date knowledge of Electro-Optical industry trends and new technologies that may be relevant to Wescam’s business.
- Bachelor’s degree of Engineering Physics or equivalent
- Understanding of analog and digital video concepts:
- Color science
- NTSC & PAL standards
- Digital video standards
- Resolution and sensitivity measurements (MRTD, MRC, NETD, MTF, etc)
- Strong knowledge of basic optics principles:
- Laser Systems
- Geometrical Optics, Imaging, Lens Design
- Electro-magnetic waves propagation
- Thin-film optical coatings
Preferred Additional Skills
- Familiarity with various image sensor technologies (CCD, CMOS, Thermal Imagers, etc)
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills, proficient with Matlab or a similar language
- Proficient in optics and electronics lab environments
- Familiar with a wide range of engineering fields (mainly Mechanical, Electrical & Software)
- Knowledge of Optical Design software (CodeV or Zemax) an asset
- Knowledge of range performance modelling tools (Modtran, NVTherm, SSCam, etc) an asset
- Professional experience in a similar role is preferred
- Graduate degree in a related field an asset
Life at L3HARRIS WESCAM
A subsidiary of L3Harris Technologies – WESCAM develops the most advanced optical systems for global defense and military sectors, Homeland Security, Search and Rescue and Airborne law enforcement agencies worldwide. From long- range covert surveillance and targeting missions to search and rescue operations, our MX-series systems, and the mission systems solutions they are a part of, allow our customers to see first and act first.
Engineered with advanced EO/IR technology and over 40 years of superior gyro-stabilization experience, WESCAM’s MX™-Series has been proven in-theater, and controlled the battle space from every altitude. With thousands of systems fielded worldwide, L3 Harris WESCAM’s systems can be found on over 200 different types of platforms, including fixed-wing, rotary-wing, UAV and aerostat airborne platforms, numerous surface vehicles and marine-based platforms.
L3Harris WESCAM is proud to have been named a 2020 Top Employer in Hamilton-Niagara as well as one of Canada’s best Employers for Recent Graduates. Find out more at: https://reviews.canadastop100.com/top-employer-l3-wescam
Our work environment is both challenging and dynamic – our physical environment is state of the art. Here’s what you can expect as an L3Harris WESCAM employee
- Every other Friday off (paid – with our rare 9/80 work schedule)
- Free on-site gym
- Free wellness programs
- Free fruit, bagels and coffee
- Subsidized cafeterias
- Beach Volleyball courts
- 26 acres of forested land with hiking and biking trails in the heart of Burlington
- Sports and extra-curricular teams and activities
- Employee events such as Rib Fest and Golf Tournament
- Work/Life balance that is supported
- Real opportunities for growth and development
- A diverse and inclusive working culture
- Everyone’s role at L3HARRIS WESCAM contributes to saving people’s lives
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that diversity among our employees makes us a stronger organization.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion within our L3Harris WESCAM family, and our community by welcoming and encouraging applications from anyone interested without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran's status, Aboriginal status or any other legally-protected groups. For people with disabilities, we work with you throughout the recruitment process to ensure you have what you need in order to be at your best. If you require any accommodation for any part of the recruitment/interview process, or as you begin your career with us just let us know and we will take care of you.
This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties as necessary.