Fraud Awareness Message
Fraudsters have been known to attempt to use our name to trick job seekers with fake employment opportunities. This type of scam is normally carried out through fake websites, job postings, chat applications, or email accounts claiming to be from L3Harris. To help spot these scams, remember that during our formal recruitment process, L3Harris will NOT (1) ask you for money; (2) offer to send you a check before doing any work; (3) require you to provide sensitive personal information early in the process or sensitive information about your previous employer; (4) send you emails from free commercial services (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail).
If you have been contacted by anyone representing themselves as being from L3Harris and are concerned about their legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at staffing@L3Harris.com .
If you believe you have been scammed, contact local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission here. L3Harris has no responsibility for fraudulent job offers and advises candidates to follow the guidance provided above.
Mechanical Design Engineer
Bristol, United KingdomJob ID IMS20231508-104749
What makes a successful team member at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
A dynamic market environment combined with pioneering technology and a collaborative team, makes every day interesting and engaging.Thomas, Program Finance Manager, Crawley, UK
L3Harris Work Perks
- Private medical insurance and group life assurance
- Benefit allowance to help you pay for insurance
- Options for dental and critical illness coverage as well as a health cash plan and gym membership
- Employee and Family discount programme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Optional partner life assurance
- Generous annual holiday allowance
- Retirement savings plan with employer contribution
- Employee assistance programme to provide advice and guidance on finance, mental health, and more
- Casual “dress for your day” policy
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 50,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Mechanical Engineer
Job Location: Bristol, UK
Flexible, condensed or reduced working hours considered and hybrid working where possible.
Job ID: IMS20231508-104749
About this opportunity and L3Harris UK
From 12 UK sites, our team of over 1,400 people deliver unique capabilities across air, land, sea, space and cyber for military, security and commercial customers, worldwide.
L3Harris in Bristol provides enduring, robust and cutting edge Platform Management Systems (PMS) for both the UK Royal Navy sub-surface and surface fleets, notably current Astute submarine and Queen Elizabeth Class (QEC) aircraft carriers, in-build Type 26 and Type 31 frigates - this skill set also extends into cruise liners and super-yachts in the commercial marine market.
- To provide a key mechanical technical focal point for all stages of the design lifecycle, from concept definition and system/equipment development, through first article and formal qualification, to manufacture and customer acceptance.
- Produce technical documentation, drawings, models and designs within the mechanical engineering discipline
- Review customer requirements and standards applicable to projects
- Ability to produce equipment specifications to which equipment will be designed.
- Assist in the development of engineering plans and resource schedules
- Production of statements of work, specifications and supplier requirements documents
- Develop mechanical/structural designs and take ownership of the design artefacts including, including 3D models, mechanical drawings, BOMs, etc.
- Review FEA and CFD analysis reports and undertake further calculations to validate results and provide evidence against the requirements..
- Develop and maintain ownership Environmental qualification and Shock analysis reports and supporting test evidence
- Provide input into First Article and Production test specifications to ensure the correct design checking methods are being employed.
- Support the Project Manager and Technical Manager with review of change requests, and preparation of engineering impact assessments and proposals.
- To provide technical expertise into the development of the wider company mechanical design processes and environmental/shock test methodology, test facilities and instrumentation/tools.
Knowledge, Skills And Experience:
- HNC/HND in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline.
- 5-7 years minimum experience in a mechanical engineering design environment.
- Good understanding of structured design, quality, test and acceptance processes
- Excellent PC skills (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Project, Visio)
- Good planning, communications, writing, organisational and co-ordination skills.
- Experience in specification and design of equipment cabinets, control panels, and sub-assembles.
- Expertise covering areas such as; environmental requirement definition and management, data analysis, simulation and modelling, and testing (climatic, mechanical (shock and vibration), structural and fatigue).
- 3D Modelling/AutoCAD.
- Familiarity of Military / Marine installations / defence projects
- Knowledge of environmental standards and certification, CE, Lloyds Rules, statutory regulations, military specs (e.g. DEF STAN 08-123).
- DOORS, C&I databases /tools capable
Important to know
Due to the nature of our work many our roles require a UK nationality and the ability to obtain a security clearance. Applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment must meet the requirement of right to work in the UK and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information and will be subject to government security checks.
As an equal opportunities employer, L3Harris is committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership.
We aspire to have a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage suitably qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds to apply and join L3Harris.
Thank you for your patience as we transition to a new applicant tracking system. Please be aware that you may have applications in more than one system at this time and, as a result, you may receive communications regarding your applications from multiple systems.