Sr. Mechanical Engineer
Ayer, MassachusettsJob ID IMS20210903-57786
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Senior Specialist, Mechanical Engineering
Job Code: MEP4
Job Location: Ayer, MA
Job Description: Leads mechanical design projects for Naval C5ISR programs. The Mechanical Engineering Senior Specialist acts as the mechanical engineering subject matter expert on various programs from concept through delivery and drives innovation for the next generation of C5ISR systems.
- Leads, organizes and delegates to a team of engineers to accomplish complex system and subsystem design from concept through preliminary/detailed design, analysis, transition to production and qualification testing.
- Subject matter expert for the structural design and analysis of metallic structures and electromechanical systems for naval projects.
- Interprets customer specifications to define requirements for mechanical designs.
- Uses 3D CAD systems (Inventor, CREO) to review mechanical layouts and drawings.
- Subject matter expert of design for manufacturing (DFM), design for assembly (DFA), design for Cost (DFC) principles for mechanical and electromechanical assemblies.
- Guides/creates design standards and mechanical best practices.
- Troubleshoots and resolves mechanical design, manufacturing and assembly failures.
- Supports testing, installation, operation, maintenance and repair of electromechanical equipment.
- Generates project cost estimates and maintains project budgets and schedule.
- Performs/reviews thermal and structural analyses and generates/reviews analysis reports.
- Ablity to work simultaneously on a variety of projects.
- Travel and work off-site at another location may be required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering and 6+ years of relevant engineering experience
- Practical experience performing FEA, CFD and thermal analyses.
- Proficiency with MS Office
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Knowledge of Military Specifications (preferred).
- Experience with Naval qualification testing (preferred)
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.