Unmanned Systems Engineer 4
Ashburn, VirginiaJob ID AS20210104-59052
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working with the L3Harris's engineering team, you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Systems Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
Flexible work schedule, paid overtime, cool technology, no micromanagement, nice campus, fun co-workersSystems Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Systems Design Engineer 4 - Unmanned
Location: Ashburn, VA
Let's start with who we are: Advanced Systems & Technologies (AS&T) division specializes in developing disruptive, next-generation technologies for advanced radar systems, next-generation weapon systems, and other RF sensor technologies. What does that mean? It means that as the non-traditional 6th prime, we're developing entirely new clean sheet designs. We aren't designing upgraded parts of an existing system. We are immersed in technology and we are technology driven.
What's a day in the life like in this role? This is a systems engineering position, so the tasking is similar to what you've done before. But the difference is that you're working in a completely different culture and mission mindset. Our team sizes are smaller, allowing for collaboration, great ideas, and contribution from all levels in an agile product development environment. In other words, you're not stove-piped into one area, and instead can work the entire engineering lifecycle. You get to solve hard problems. Your day is spent working on new and exciting technology and methodology that hasn't been done before. You're inspired to do your best work every day, because what we do matters!
- Perform hardware/software requirements definition, decomposition, allocation, management, verification, and validation
- Works closely with the other systems engineers, and collaborates with our mechanical, electrical, software, and aerospace engineers in planning, designing, manufacturing, and testing of systems to ensure system software and hardware requirements are traced to the design and formally verified/validated.
- This position will perform system specification development, creation and enforcement of interface control documents, system risk management, and system configuration management
- This position will be responsible for development of concepts of employment, uses cases, sequence diagrams, and service contracts
- This position will be responsible for creating, maintaining and using requirements related documentation and databases for multiple programs
- This position will be responsible for verifying all requirements are met using the approved verification method and documenting the verification results
- Coordinate with customer, subcontractor, and vendor personnel through written and oral communication.
- Other duties as required
- U.S. citizen
- Active DoD clearance; must be able to obtain additional clearances as required
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or science
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in requirements development, design, implementation, integration and test of aerospace-related technical systems.
- Minimum of 5 years of system level design experience in which the applicant has been involved in the design and integration of complex aerospace hardware/software systems, the definition of multiple interfaces, and been involved in the trades of multiple solution options
- Minimum of 5 years of expertise in Systems Engineering disciplines and the government program acquisition lifecycle, to include requirements definition, creation of requirements verification test matrices, requirements decomposition, requirements traceability, design reviews and documentation, and integration and test
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- Must be able to travel 15%; support field testing
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Advanced degree
- Possession of a current Top-Secret clearance is highly desirable
- Degree or relevant coursework in Systems Engineering
- Experience with proposal development including generating basis of estimates
- Experience in unmanned aerial systems
- Experience with Model Based Systems Engineering
- Experience with requirements management using DOORS
- Familiarity with STANAG 4586, JAUS, OMS, UCI, UAI or other common messaging architectures
- Experience with service-oriented architecture and service contracts
- Experience in development of use cases developed from customer objectives and concepts of operations
- Excellent people skills, with experience leading and collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team environment.
- Outstanding work ethic and commitment to organizational success
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, & presentation)
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.