Software Engineering Manager – Technical Program Support
Arlington, TexasJob ID AS20210305-60702
What makes a successful Business and Operations team member at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
My favorite part of working for L3Harris is knowing that the parts that I procure go into products that help save lives.Lizzie, Procurement Associate, Rochester, NY
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Manager, Technical Program Support
Job ID: AS20210305-60702
Job location: Arlington TX
The Technical Program Support (TPS) Manager provides the functional management responsibilities for the Technical Program Support personnel. The TPS Manager responsibilities are anticipated to be worked in conjunction with other tasking. Approximately 25% of your time will be dedicated TPS duties while the remaining 75% is spent working directly on programs and proposal activities.
The TPS manager position provides the functional management responsibilities for the TPS group of software engineering personnel. This position will be responsible for personnel management and career development in a matrix organization and should have a strong desire to help others succeed. The successful candidate will plan, develop, and coordinate employee training and professional development requirements. This role will perform management activities for employees in the group, including performance reviews, career development, salary and merit planning, resource allocation, and recognition. This position will help develop and improve engineering processes applicable to the department, be responsible for promoting cross-team collaboration across multiple functions and business areas, and be able to mentor engineers within the organization.
As the TPS Software Engineering Manager (SEM) you will be responsible for:
- Helping develop departmental standards, best practices, and processes for the Engineering organization, enforcing its application, and capturing and codifying tacit knowledge.
- Ensuring TPS products are released at the appropriate points in the program lifecycle.
- Support collection and analysis of metrics related to software performance, along with associated process improvements.
- Works closely with Program Engineering Management (PEM) and Software Leads (SWL) to assign individuals in their department to anticipated demand needs from programs.
- Responsible for employee hiring, training, career development planning, and any disciplinary activities.
- Develop the technical competence in staff to close skill gaps and to achieve satisfactory succession planning.
- Supports proposal activities, including validation of basis of estimates.
- Collaborate with the program security team in maintaining the security posture of the closed room information-systems.
- Meets Company specified goals flowed down from executive management.
As a TPS Software Engineer you will be responsible for:
- Creating and maintaining project and product line documentation to support project deliverables and follow-on development efforts across the product line.
- Deriving requirements, designing, implementing, integrating, and testing software for real-time simulation applications that meet training requirements.
- Working independently or working in a team.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to lower grade engineers.
- Reporting weekly status to the project and engineering leadership.
- Bachelor's degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other related degree required and nine (9) years of related experience.
- 1+ year’s management and direct leadership experience.
- Strong engineering leadership experience, preferably in defense industry, with system administration, cybersecurity and system integration experience.
- Position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret Clearance.
- Excellent written and verbal communications, presentation skills, and the ability to network.
- Experience in proposal development and preparing defendable Basis of Estimates.
- Experience with project management, task breakdown, resource allocation, coordination and planning.
- A decisive leader and change agent who will defend decisions made.
- Assertive problem-solving, negotiations, and conflict-resolution skills.
- Ability to create innovative solutions to complex problems.
- Excellent computer skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Excel, and Project.
- Must have proven ability to build trust and inspire others.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- M.S. degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related advanced degree preferred.
- Experience with Managing Classified Information Systems.
- Experience with automated operating system deployment.
- Experience with vulnerability scanning tools and vulnerability management.
- Advanced scripting experience (bash, csh, powershell)
- Knowledge of computer networking standards and switch configuration.
- Rational ClearCase/ClearQuest or Atlassian and Perforce configuration management systems.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.