Mechanical Engineer III
Ann Arbor, Michigan
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
- FULL TIME
- LEVEL: VARIES
- TRAVEL: NONE
- SALARY: VARIES
What makes a successful Software Engineer at L3Harris? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- CRITICAL THINKER
- DETAIL ORIENTED
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000 employees and customers in more than 130 countries. L3Harris.com
Job Title – Mechanical Engineer
Job Location – USA-MI-Ann Arbor
Job ID – CS20202506-47058
The Product Design Engineer III will design cutting edge opto-mechanical technologies with creativity and innovation. In partnership with Sales and Marketing, this role will help drive new product design and implementation in the sporting optics world.
- Designs, builds, and tests prototypes
- Creates specifications, requirements and criteria for concepts, performance, and production
- Designs and develops devices in accordance with the various phases of a program schedule, i.e. Feasibility, Design, Design Verification, Certification and Production Launch
- Selects components, prepares design layouts, modifies existing designs and integrates system elements to satisfy customer requirements and product specifications
- Develops, maintains and releases engineering drawings, system designs or engineering documentation and data by applying Division, industry and governmental standards
- Reviews, evaluates and implements engineering changes and specification requirements
- Prepares reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing data and making recommendations
- Reviews engineering releases and changes as it relates to product development
- Works cross functionally to refine and enhance products by applying continuous improvement and key Lean manufacturing/production principles and techniques
- Demonstrated proficiency with engineering mathematics, mechanics, materials and thermodynamics
- Capability to lead technical groups and contribute to test plans, testing, and technical reviews to support the program life-cycle and its supporting engineering artifacts
- Demonstrated proficiency with weapon optics products and understanding of the design, development and transition to production requirements in both commercial and military markets
- Demonstrated proficiency with weapons, types, calibers, and accessories on those systems that drive optical performance and interoperability requirements of the optical device systems when integrated to a weapon
- Drives customer orientation as a business philosophy to ensure the customer's wants and needs are the priority of all management and employees
- Cultivates a culture that assures effective cross functional team work
- Demonstrates ethical and professional behavior in accordance with company values
- Performs job duties in a manner that maintains compliance with environmental, health and safety regulations, policies and procedures
- Conducts research and creates design proposals for projects
- Ensures compliance with requirements, standards and applicable regulatory authorities, and maintains product integrity
- Develops and validates new processes and procedures to increase the product quality and affordability
- Performs verification and analysis using software tools to determine compliance to customer requirements and product specifications; writes corresponding test reports
- Works with cross-functional team to draft component specification, design reviews, works with vendors to manufacture parts and validate results by specifying test parameters and methodologies
- Provides manufacturing support ensuring products are built according to customer requirements and product specifications. Performs failure analysis and corrective actions when necessary
- Investigates new component manufacturing processes
- Assists in development of manufacturing, assembly and fabrication process of the electro-optic sighting device
- Analyzes current and future technology trends and builds acquired knowledge into the development of optical systems
- All other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering from four-year College or university, with a Master's degree preferred.
- 5+ years experience with mechanical design and assembly, including 3D CAD (Solidworks, Pro/E, Catia, etc.)
- 5+ years experience in a manufacturing environment preferred.
- Analytical synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
- Problem Solving identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyses information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Communication expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Innovation displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas.
- Teamwork balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others; views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Design generates creative solutions; translates concepts and information into images; uses feedback to modify designs; applies design principles; demonstrates attention to detail.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.
L3Harris Work Perks
Dress for your day
adoption cost benefit