L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000 employees and customers in more than 130 countries. L3Harris.com
Job Title – Manufacturing Engineer III
Job Location – USA-MI-Ann Arbor
Job ID – CS2020901-39990
The Manufacturing Engineer III is responsible for designing and developing manufacturing methods, processes, procedures, operation sequence, and production layouts for the manufacture and / or fabrication of parts, components, assemblies, equipment installation, processing, machining and material handling. This position is at www.eotechinc.com
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
The following statements of duties, responsibilities, frequency, are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required of all personnel within this position. Actual duties, responsibilities, frequency may vary depending upon assignments and other factors.
Identifies and implements equipment and process modifications to improve production efficiencies, manufacturing techniques and production yields for existing products using PFMEA, Kaizen, value stream mapping, process flows, etc.
- Estimates manufacturing costs, evaluates time standards, and makes recommendations for tooling and process requirements of new or existing product lines
- Suggests and implements continuous improvement initiatives to reduce cycle time, eliminate constraints, ensure production schedule compliance, and maintain / improve quality
- Analyzes and implements sequence of operations (line balancing) and specifies tools and process stream mapping, process flows, etc.
- Resolves production process problems using tools such as, fishbone diagrams, 5Y, and 8D
- Establishes poke yoke measures preventing reoccurring problems and issues
- Develops, compiles and presents key performance metrics
- Develops, updates and releases work instructions, workmanship standards, process documents, and visual aids. Trains operators on initial release of work instructions
- Leads manufacturing teams in special activities, product launches, and deviations/trials
- Assists production department in implementing efficient and ergonomically robust assembly processes
- Conducts tests and measurements throughout stages of production to determine control and capabilities
- Ensures processes and procedures are in compliance with regulations and or industry certifications and best practices
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Cultivates a culture that assures effective cross functional team work
- Demonstrates ethical and professional behavior in accordance with company values
- Performs job duties in a manner that maintains compliance with environmental, health and safety regulations, policies and procedures
- Prepares floor and equipment layouts to promote an efficient flow of material through various fabrication and assembly operations
- Assists in identifying non-conformance product, contributes to root cause failures and investigates and initiates corrective action of problems and deficiencies to reconcile problems and ensure product quality
- Develops forms and instructions for recording, evaluating and reporting data
- Interacts with design engineering in coordination with the release of new products and to provide guidance regarding design concepts and specification requirements to best utilize equipment and manufacturing techniques
- Conducts cost justification for tools machinery and equipment; prepares tooling cost and labor estimates. Makes recommendations for tooling and process requirements of new or existing product lines
- Creates detailed Capital Expenditure Request requesting tooling and capital for new or existing product lines
- Demonstrated proficiency with ERP (Enterprise, Resource Planning) software
- Demonstrated proficiency with Visual manufacturing-centric software
- Demonstrated proficiency with weapons, types, calibers, and accessories on those systems that drive optical performance and interoperability requirements of the optical device systems when integrated to a weapon
- All other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from a four-year college or university
- 4-6 years’ experience in opto-mechanical assembly operations
- Prior Lean Six Sigma training is preferred
- Greenbelt / Black belt training and certification is preferred
Adaptability – adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Analytical – synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
Communication – expresses ideas and thoughts verbally and in written form; speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; actively participates in meetings.
Cooperation – establishes and maintains effective relations; exhibits tact and consideration; offers assistance and support to co-workers, works cooperatively in group situations; works actively to resolve conflicts.
Problem Solving – identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Project Management – develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget.
SCOPE AND INFLUENCE
Complete understanding and wide application of technical standards, principles, theories, and concepts in the field. General knowledge of other related disciplines.
Provide technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems. Solutions are imaginative, thorough, practicable, and consistent with organizational objectives.
Works under only general direction. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
Contributes to the completion of specific programs and projects. Failure to obtain results or erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in serious program delays and considerable expenditure of resources.
Frequent inter-organizational and outside customer contacts. Represents the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS, WORK ENVIRONMENT AND HEALTH AND SAFETY
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally life and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.