Senior Systems Engineer
Anaheim, CaliforniaJob ID IMS20211604-59835
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working with the L3Harris's engineering team, you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Systems Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
Flexible work schedule, paid overtime, cool technology, no micromanagement, nice campus, fun co-workersSystems Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Senior Systems Engineer
Job Code: IMS20211604-59835
Job Location: Anaheim, CA
This position is responsible for the planning and technical execution of the entire system development lifecycle of power conversion and protection products. Product maturity ranges from refreshes of fielded systems to new product introduction. Overall responsibilities include executing system engineering efforts from requirement definition, architecting, design execution, and the support of integration and verification.
The position operates primarily as an individual contributor with occasional assignments to lead small teams. The position will execute systems engineering activities during the requirements definition and design phases. This position works under the guidance of a more senior system engineer along with other engineering disciplines to apply system engineering methodologies and tools (e.g., functional analysis, context diagrams, trade studies, requirements definition/allocation, modeling) to define system architecture and design. Additionally, this position supports the development and maintenance of technical risk and technical performance measures throughout the course of the project. During the integration and verification phases, the position will support procedure development and participate in structured and/or ad-hoc problem solving activities associated with test findings. In addition to tactical execution, this position will support continuous improvement activities within the System Engineering knowledge domain. This includes, but is not limited, to procedure/work instruction development, template development, tool enhancements, training, and mentoring.
Typical day-to-day responsibilities would be generating system engineering architecture and design artifacts such as requirements documents, architectural views, concept of operations/use cases, interface design requirements/descriptions, risk matrices, TPM metrics, and system behavioral models/analysis. Major reviews owned by this position are the major design reviews (e.g., SRR, PDR, CDR). This position will work intimately with design engineers to provide real-time support and guidance with respect to requirements, architecture, and interfaces. To perform effectively, it is expected that this position be knowledgeable of system requirements, system operations, and understand end user needs. This position requires a person that is highly detailed oriented, structured, well organized, and can effectively communicate complex topics to varied audiences.
- Functional analysis, architecture definition, trade studies, and requirement definition
- Development and management of key system engineering artifacts (e.g., SEMP, system requirements, system architecture, technical risk matrix, TPMs, system behavioral models)
- Support the development and conduct of informal and formal design reviews such as SRR, PDR, and CDR
- Management of requirements traceability between architectural levels via a SW tool (e.g., DOORS, Rational Test Manager, etc.)
- Generate system engineering metrics to project and company leadership (e.g., TPMs, requirements volatility)
- Support implementation of system engineering best practices and tools
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Clearance
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering and minimum 6 years of prior relevant experience in engineering and management of complex technical systems development and production (medium voltage equipment design a plus), or Graduate Degree and a minimum of 4 years of prior related experience.
- Experience leading small teams in executing technical tasks
- Broad based technical knowledge and experience in order to understand and evaluate systems engineering activities across the engineering functions. Preferred emphasis in power engineering or power control systems.
- Experience in and solid understanding of the system “vee”. A general understanding of the overall system engineering process, as outlined by INCOSE, is desired.
- Beginning experience in execution of concept and architecture development including trade studies and requirements development and decomposition.
- Experience with requirement management tools; experience with MBSE tools desired.
- Experience with structured problem solving approaches/methodologies
- Beginning experience of statistical analysis methods/approaches and tools (e.g., DOE, Minitab)
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Experience in designing power conversion equipment and working in a high power environment
- Exceptional written communication skills
- Solid verbal communication skills for internal and customer presentations
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.