Controls Engineer Lead (Power Electronics)
Anaheim, CaliforniaJob ID IMS20210504-59117
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Controls Engineer Lead (Power Electronics)
Job Code: IMS20210504-59117
Job Location: Anaheim, CA
This position will perform controls/ software/ systems engineering assignments of wide complexity with considerable discretion. The engineer shall provide lead-by-example role model for the iterative engineering development process from design into integration ending with product delivery.
Respected professional, subject matter expert with comprehensive knowledge of job area and project management. Leads complex projects or processes with general oversight. Communicates within and outside of own function to gain cooperation on operational processes, practices, and procedures. Makes substantial improvements to systems and processes beyond the division. Contributes to achievement of department goals and operating plans with direct, material impact on the divisions.
This position will take general direction from Software Engineering Manager. This role will actively work with peers and specialists across different disciplines to meet shared product milestones. Work is performed with general oversight. Will lead large projects or processes that are both inside and outside of immediate job area. Responsible for providing guidance, coaching and training to other engineers. Responsible as lead for complex projects which will involve delegation of work, review of work products and mentoring junior engineers. Works to achieve operational targets with direct impact on the departmental results.
- Lead, develop, configure, build and support software product with emphasis on algorithmic solutions. Expert with MATLAB/Simulink modeling, simulation and test for electrical systems.
- Bound functional requirements analysis, interpret architectural and design to requirement, execute development workflow with code quality.
- Analyze and decompose functional, behavioral, QoS and system level requirements into bounded work units. Demonstrate traceability and coverage for code & unit test through various tiers ending at customer requirements.
- Write, refine, automate and execute test procedures or simulation scenarios. Review simulation reports and test results to deduce (and address) defect root cause or plan shortcomings. Differentiate variances between design & code defects against pre-production hardware prototypes.
- Continuously integrate, validate and deploy feature using MATLAB/Simulink simulations or other software unit test frameworks.
- Perform bids in response to customer RFP or as self-initiated project to obtain internal funding. Create and curate technical software & integration risk mitigation plans for multi-million revenue programs. Be a key role model for members of the development teams on task with unified goal.
- Ability to obtain/maintain a secret/ security clearance.
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum 9 years of prior relevant experience, or Graduate Degree and a minimum of 7 years of prior related experience.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Experience with integrating control algorithm with embedded software on target hardware from pre-production through product release.
- Experience in design, implementation, updating and rebasing models in MATLAB/ Simulink. Experience in either control algorithms or power circuitry design, proficiency in the other.
- Experience as a role model in a collaborative development environment.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Expert knowledge of MATLAB/ Simulink, python, git file system and modern development methodologies. Hands on experience executing OOP concepts with MATLAB. Familiar with Python’s scientific community body of work and open-source communities.
- Accountability experience with highly regulated (safety-critical) products & SDLC is essential. Practical experience with analog and digital circuity is important. Awareness of high-energy or high-reliable and cyber-secured systems desirable.
- Awareness of both analog and digital circuitry design and diagnostics.
- Ability to coordinate and communicate among many parallel teams is essential.
- An effective communicator, critical thinker and excel as a member of a multi-disciplinary engineering team.
- Demonstrate insight unifying theoretical simulation model with applied on-hardware model. Invent new ways to develop algorithmic software without extraneous steps or processes.
- Ability to accelerate in an agile engineering workplace. Faith in metrics, openness and cooperation.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.