Sr. Scientist Electrical Engineer (Underwater Acoustics -Sonar)
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working with the L3Harris's engineering team, you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
- FULL TIME
- LEVEL: SENIOR
- TRAVEL: NONE
What makes a successful Electrical Engineer at L3Harris? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
- Technologically Savvy
Good place to work, good co-workers. Location is good. Process optimization is a priority. Managers listen to good ideas. Many advancement opportunities.Electrical Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
Dress for your day
Adoption Cost Benefit
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
L3Harris Adaptive Methods in Herndon, VA is seeking a Senior Scientist Electrical Engineer to join our Signal Processing Advanced Development Group. Adaptive Methods is a leading provider of advanced sonar signal processing solutions for the US Navy. Sample technologies include adaptive beamforming, adaptive detection processing, and information extraction for decision/classification. Our algorithms are driven by analysis of real sonar data and we work closely with our customers to solve their most pressing needs.
In this role, you will be part of a small team of highly capable engineers and scientists at Adaptive Methods providing advanced sonar solutions to the US Navy and other business partners and customers. The Senior Scientist Electrical Engineer will lead the development of advanced algorithms in a prototype environment (Matlab, etc.), demonstrate their effectiveness with real data, and assist transitioning technologies to a real-time tactical implementation. You will interact with senior leaders (technical and management) at Adaptive Methods and other L3Harris Maritime organizations as needed to help shape new business strategies, and the ability to provide innovative solutions is required.
The ideal candidate is expected to have a strong track record in proposal development and subsequent contract execution. Candidates must demonstrate a solid understanding of underwater acoustics and sonar sensor technologies.
- Design and development of sensor systems technologies to include array design, sensor signal processing, beamforming, acoustic communications, and automated detection / classification processing
- Technical direction of sensor systems technology development, performance prediction and assessment, and application programs
- Preparation and conduct of oral presentation and demonstration of Adaptive Methods technology products to current and potential military/commercial customers, symposia, and government-industry technical working groups
- Competitive technical proposal preparation
REQUIRED JOB SKILLS AND EDUCATION:
- MS or PhD in Signal Processing, Underwater Acoustics or related field
- 10+ years of research and/or applications development experience in sonar sensor systems technologies
- Underwater acoustic sensor/system performance analysis
- Matlab software development
- Excellent and verifiable customer and industry peer-group communications skills
- Proposal preparation experience
DESIRABLE JOB SKILLS:
- Acoustic and non-acoustic sensor detection and classification
- Underwater acoustic communications
- Underwater acoustic propagation modeling, including familiarity with tools such as Bellhop, NSPE, CASS/GRAB, WaveQ3D, etc.
- Adaptive beamforming or environmentally adaptive signal processing
- Vector Sensors
- Technical/Journal peer-reviewed publications in one or more of the sensor systems technology areas
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.